San Diego Travel Answers

change location
TLippard's Profile Photo

Festival of Sail question

by TLippard Online Now Jul 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Hi all. We're planning a visit to San Diego in late August, early September. We'll be there over the Labor Day weekend. This year we're going to be on a limited budget and looking to stretch our entertainment dollars as much as possible.

We've seen the Festival of Sails event that's going on and wonder how much can you see and do without paying the actual admission price. I know that there is a vendor area that is free. Can anyone who's been in prior years shed some light on that?

Thanks all!

Tim

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Re: Festival of Sail question

by lmkluque Online Now Jul 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Hi Tim,

I have not actually paid to see the Festival of Sail but the tickets start at15.00 for one day pass and25.00 for a multi-day pass. The additional price40.00 to50.00 would be added to the admission ticket for those who actually want to be on one of the sailing ships during battle.

I have been on the Bay, on a Harbor Cruise, several times during these battles and it seems fun and exciting for those on the sailing vessels.

So, considering your budget I would say, besides wandering the vender areas, that you might note the times of the battles on the Bay, usually twice a day and find a spot along the small park area of Harbor Island, which is on the west side of the Bay, to watch one or more of these battles, which take place around the Bay. I'm sure that there are plenty of spots to get a view from the east side of the Bay, but normally these type of events tend to draw attention of everyone who happens to be near the Bay, even if they didn't know anything about the Festival of Sail. So, I think that the east side might be crowded--but not totally sure of that.

Another suggestion is that you might consider volunteering for the event. Usually volunteers are given a day's admission to an event. I'm not sure this will be the case for FOS, but worth checking into.

BTW, Harbor Island is closer, but also you should be able to see much of the battle from Shelter Island as well.

Hope this helps,
    Linda

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines