San Diego Travel Answers

change location

military transportation

by kas0205 Online Now Jul 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM

My son is recently serving at the Point Loma Sub base and is looking for public transportation to and from the base for nightlife activities. He has a truck but doesn't want to meet the local law enforcement.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: military transportation

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Unless he's breaking laws, he should have no problems with the local law enforcement. If he's doing a lot of drinking, perhaps he can go with friends and have a designated driver (who will get free non-alcoholic drinks). Many do this and especially non-drinkers love the job . . . and the free drinks.

Just a thought.

Then there is the bus. sdcommute.com/TripPlanner/in...

If he uses the bus, he'll have to be aware of the time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Another thought . . . Has he checked the USO about the possibility of provided transport? They're pretty good about that. They used to provide transport for USCG members from New London to New York for shows and things. He might at least ask them. The worst they can do is say no. ;^)

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Jul 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM

The Base up there has two Gates, Spawar Main Gate on Catalina Boulevard and Naval Base Point Loma Main Gate on Rosecrans Street.

The 28 and 84 bus routes go to the Bases, but there is a problem. The Gates to the Bases in that area close at 5:00pm and a Military ID is required to pass.

So, the 84 bus, which services the Base area at Catalina, doesn't run after that, nor does it run on weekends.

The 28 bus route, services the Rosecrans Gate and runs until 10:00 or 11:00 pm. so he'd have to return early if he want's to rely on the bus.

I'm surprised that your son hasn't asked any of the guys who have been there longer, about the logistics of a night out. I'm sure they would all have an answer for him.

My guess is that he'll either have to walk to the NBPL Main Gate at Rosecrans St. or take his own truck and stay relatively sober or chip in with a few guys and take a taxi.

Meeting local law enforcement would only be a problem if he was driving while intoxicated or if he were disorderly and disturbing the peace, which in each case, it's not the local law that he should fear, but the MP's.

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Jul 5, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Tell your son, thank you for his service.

• Aloe9678's Profile Photo

by Aloe9678 Online Now Jul 6, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I haven't been to Point Loma, but I did spend a lot of time at Fort Hood - and unfortunately, if PL is like FH, there isn't going to be a lot of transportation at night other than taxis. I knew a lot of people who would get hotel rooms in Austin when they wanted to party on 6th Street, or would stay with friends off-post instead of driving back on post.

Hopefully he'll have a group of friends, and they can take turns as DD. Or if there's a considerable distance (I really don't know this area) maybe they can all chip in for a room near the nightlife, so no one has to drive.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines