San Diego Travel Answers

change location
Giulia_ua's Profile Photo

restaurants/bars/clubs

by Giulia_ua Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

me and my friend will spend a weekend in San Diego in the beginning of May. what restaurants would you recommend (fish&sea food preference)? what is the best bar in the city?

thank you,
Yulia

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Re: restaurants/bars/clubs

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

My personal favorite for the "fish taco" experience is Wahoo's, followed closely by Rubio's.
    Traditional fish restaurant - bluewaterseafoodsandiego.com is my favorite.
    Rock Bottom gets crowded, but I like their La Jolla location for bars, and the best grub was at Bareback's.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Go to the Gas Lamp district and you will find many restaurnts to fit your needs

cheers tommy x

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

good restaurants in San Diego are everywhere but my favorite locations are the Gas Lamp Quarter and Little Italy.

In the Gas Lamp, The Field is great for pub food and Croce's run by his wife and son is wonderful for the nostalgia of the singer and excellent food.

In Little Italy, I like Davanti as it's eclectic menu is well prepared, tasty and not as expensive as some of it's competition.

• Usctwin's Profile Photo

by Usctwin Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

This depends on where in San Diego you will be spending your time and what type of bars you prefer. IF you are in the gaslamp district, you can walk around and pass clubs, dive bars, sports bar, etc. For seafood in gaslamp, I would recommend checking out Searsucker, one of Top Chef Brian Malarkey's restaurants.

If you're planning to be in La Jolla, which is my favorite area, you'll definitely want to grab a drink at La Valencia Hotel, other wise known as the Pink Lady. George's on the Cove has 3 levels of dining, the bottom level is more formal, mid level is more bar like with great ocean views and the top level is completely outdoor seating. This is one of the best places in the city to watch the sunset while enjoying a great meal. Another favorite restaurant in La Jolla is Herringbone, again by Check Malarkley. If you're looking for a place to go out check out Prospect Bar in La Jolla.

La Jolla is an older/mature crowd (30s+) so if you're looking for something a little younger, then the gaslamp is where you want to be.

Have fun!

2 members found this helpful

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

The best seafood restaurant for the food is Truluck's in La Jolla, right off the I-5 at La Jolla Drive. About a 15 minute drive from Downtown San Diego. It may be a little too gourmet for some, $$$, but the seafood is fabulous. They also have happy hours service where drinks are 1/2 price as well as a Happy Hour menu. See their menu at: trulucks.com/pages/la-jolla-...
    Blue Point, a great oyster seafood restaurant located downtown San Diego is similar in price, but being on 5th Ave in the lively Gas Lamp Quarter where many bars and clubs are located. Walk around and choose your poison. Live music, etc. See: cohnrestaurants.com/menu-res...

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Best area is in/near the gas lamp district. Lots to walk to and you can catch the trolly to many other places.
    I really like the Tin Fish, which is just next to the Gas Lamp Hilton and the trolly stop. Cheap (by SD standards) and good, with lots of activity. It might be a good place to start out at for lunch or late afternoon happy hour and then move on from there. Nubo is right across the street so you can go there or just watch the circus from Tin Fish patio. Petco field is just down the street if there is something there of interest.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Giulia_ua wrote:
    me and my friend will spend a weekend in San Diego in the beginning of May. what restaurants would you recommend (fish&sea food preference)? what is the best bar in the city?

thank you, Yulia

A seafood restaurant I would suggest is the Fish Market. It is located on the Harbor downtown next to the USS Midway Museum.  It offers a wide variety of seafood that is always fresh and eating on the deck outside watching the activity on the Bay is outstanding.   Another popular spot for seafood is Athony's Fish Grotto which is also at the Harbor next to the Star of India.  The seafood is fresh here as well but the ony way to eat outside is by ordering from their fishette, something to go.  It is a great option if you want to eat on the run.   As for the best bar, I would say that Fluxx is the best at the moment, but as others have said, there are many located in the Gaslamp Quarter with a wide choice of types and styles. The other places mentioned are also good but not as many choice in style,

• mariemoxom's Profile Photo

by mariemoxom Online Now May 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM

My recent favorites:
    Pacific Beach Fish Shop. Great vibe, great seafood.
    Fish 101. This is in Encinitas, north of San Diego but also a great vibe and fresh seafood.

• Re: restaurants/bars/clubs

by nate4t Online Now May 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM

The most popular club/bar in San Diego is FLUXX it has won numerous awards ect. Other good ones downtown are Voyeur, Sidebar, Block 16, and bootlegger.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines