San Cristóbal de Las Casas Travel Answers

change location

GLBT Community in San Cristobal de las Casas

by comprero Online Now Jun 6, 2010 at 5:45 AM

I will be working in San Cristobal for a month this summer and am interested in connecting with the gay, lesbian, bisexual community; I have not been able to find any such information in tour books or on travel websites.

Please note---I am NOT interested in dating or a hook-up. I have spent a significant time in other parts of Mexico and am aware that it is a very conservative country. I want to be respectful of the cultural differences but am also looking to meet similar folks who I may not otherwise have an opportunity to meet and want to understand what their lives are like in Mexico.

Thank you for your assistance.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

Re: GLBT Community in San Cristobal de las Casas

by SOLODANCER Online Now Jun 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Outside of Mexico City and the big cities of the country, it may be hard to find exact information on gay happenings, groups and meeting places in small towns such as San Cristobal openly listed for all to see.

Nevertheless, it is nowadays easy once you're in San Cristobal to find out about particular groups/clubs/organizations directly thru the local tourist office itself. Also, if the town publishes a 'what's happening' type of current events publication, it could be there as well as part of the overall listings.

You might also check out - before your trip to San Cristobal - the gay/lesbian/bisexual travel guide book called Spartacus (updated yearly) which lists every gay/lesbian venue (plus more) in every country worldwide.

Have fun in San Cristobal, it's a fantastic destination.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines