San Cristóbal de Las Casas Travel Answers

change location

travelling to San Cristobal from Cancun

by mowulms Online Now Jul 14, 2009 at 5:49 AM

Hi, I will be going to San Cristobal de las Casas medium August, leaving from Europe. what would be the best travel route to take as a woman alone?
I was thinking of flying to Cancun (since Mexico city is not that great) and then taking a bus to San Cristobal. I can probably best try to book this busticket when I already arrive there. Does anyone have better suggestions, and does anyone know about the travel time by bus? And any good bus agencies ?

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: travelling to San Cristobal from Cancun

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I once did exactly this trip by bus. First went to Mérida with a stop-over in Chichen Itza. Spent some days in Mérida. Took the night bus to Palenque where I stayed two or three nights to explore the Mayan ruins and Agua Azul. From there took the bus to San Cristobal de las Casas. It was straight forward, used the ADO buses. You might want to take a day bus from Merida to Palenque, it would surely be safer. I travelled with a (female) friend then, and the night ride was exciting - not because of safety concerns but because the bus was so full, and people boarded everywhere in the middle of the night, with live chicken and everything, and many had to stand, and fell asleep while standing, and fell onto sitting passengers LOL

I think there are more luxurious buses now, so it would be more comfortable.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

by Laura_Mexico Online Now Jul 16, 2009 at 9:35 AM

>>>I was thinking of flying to Cancun (since Mexico city is not that great)

Well sorry to contradict you but there is SO MUCH MORE to see in Mexico City than in Cancun......... of course it depends on your interests and if all you want to do is go and lie on the beach, do some snorkeling or visit 1-2 natural/water parks then ok, Cancun is where you need to go. If you want to see a colonial town with lots of museums, archeological sites and such - and I think this is what you may like better since you want to visit San Cristobal - then you definitely won't find that in Cancun. As for physical distance, Cancun might be a BIT closer to San Cristobal but not that much, so flying into Cancun vs. Mex city won't be a huge advantage when it comes to physical distance either. Up to you though..... enjoy your trip.

• Re: travelling to San Cristobal from Cancun

by mowulms Online Now Jul 21, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm sorry for the comment I made about mexico city haha didn't want to offend anyone! I meant not that great - to arrive alone travel by bus, I heard it is not that safe in comparison with cancun. but the issue is solved, i found a really cheap ticket to Tuxtla Gutierrez. on the way way back I will have a stopover in mexico city for a few days, so I will have time to adjust my opinion!
    Thanks for the help!
    Saludos, Moniek

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Despite all the problems you will enjoy Mexico City and the wider region (for example Teotihuacan, Tula, etc.). Just be careful with the swine flu...

by Laura_Mexico Online Now Jul 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Awww come on Sissi, the flu has not been around for a long time now..... they've predicted that, shall there be a new sprout, it will be till the winter.... and we're in summer. There have been more cases found, but in other states. That's old history by now and no one's worrying about catching it anymore. I'm not saying that it's ok to not take precautions: it's ALWAYS advisable to be careful and be very picky with hygiene matters, especially when in a foreign country, but this isn't an issue that ppl should worry about anymore.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Laura, the latest statistics I read say otherwise, and the swine flu is even spreading in Europe where the OP comes from. So if you say Mexico is now one of the few countries worldwide where people do not have to worry about swine flu, perhaps we should warn you people of new visitors... ;-)))

by Laura_Mexico Online Now Jul 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM

>>>perhaps we should warn you people of new visitors... ;-)))

LOL, that I do agree with!! And even though many countries were rude towards our citizens when the first cases were reported and they kept them in quarantine or sent them back to mexico, we're not doing that with people coming from countries where the spread of the flu is now VERY serious.... eg. Argentina. I agree that we should be careful with THEM bringing the virus with them.... more than they should be of catching it here. It's our vacation period now here and everyone's crowding the beach destinations without any fear of catching the flu. Yes we still have cases but much milder than the ones we had at the beginning, in different states (not in Mex city and surroudings anymore) and we don't have lots of people dying as we did at the beginning. This IS happening in USA and Argentina but not here anymore, thank goodness.... we're not rid of it but it's quite under control now...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines