San Cristóbal de Las Casas Travel Answers

change location

bus travel from Oaxaca to San Cristobal

by edwart Online Now Aug 4, 2005 at 10:39 PM

Which bus line serves the Oaxaca to San Cristobal route? Any interesting towns in route for a possible overnight rest stop and look-around. How many hours does it take? Any on-line schedules or information.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • e-katarina's Profile Photo

RE: RE: bus travel from Oaxaca to San Cristobal

by e-katarina Online Now Aug 5, 2005 at 8:00 AM

I can't remember which bus company I took, but it was a first class bus.. maybe several even go there.. Actually, I didn't go straight to San Cristobal, we took an overnight bus to Tuxtla Guttierez.. got there very early and took a combi to Chiapa de Corzo where we went for a ride in Canion del Sumidieron.. then back to Tuxtla and to San Cristobal that after-noon.. that's the stop off we made on that route..

Hope I've been of use, if any more questions just ask..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gomexico's Profile Photo

RE: bus travel from Oaxaca to San Cristobal

by gomexico Online Now Aug 5, 2005 at 10:05 AM

Omnibuses Cristobal Colon and ADO GL are the two principal companies offering first-class bus service on the Oaxaca > las Casas route. Made in one journey, the trip takes about 13 hours, oftentimes longer. Many people (including myself) break the trip into at least two segments with at least a stop in the Chiapas capital of Tuxtla Gutierrez (I also like to stop in Salina Cruz and on the Istmus). The Lonely Planet and Moon guidebooks to Mexico give some suggestions about what to see/do and where to stay/eat along that route, you might want to have a look at what one or both say. Bus schedules available online are deceiving (www.ticketbus.com.mx) because they show just evening/overnight departures. Actually, you can depart Oaxaca at just about any hour of the day - just look for busses destined for Salina Cruz and/or Tuxtla and change busses at one or both of those locations for the onward journey to las Casas.

• gomexico's Profile Photo

RE: RE: bus travel from Oaxaca to San Cristobal

by gomexico Online Now Aug 5, 2005 at 10:12 AM

One additional comment: busses departing Oaxaca for las Casas do so from the "First Class" terminal (often referred to as "Terminal ADO"). There's a second terminal close to the Central de Abastos (central market) on the other side of town - but that's for second-class service destined for other areas of the state.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Cristóbal de Las Casas