San Cristóbal de Las Casas Travel Answers

change location

http://www.cristobalcolon.com.mx out of service ??

by Mexicococo Online Now May 27, 2005 at 5:33 AM

down ?? the web site for bus from and to San Cristobal de las casas ?

thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • gomexico's Profile Photo

RE: http://www.cristobalcolon.com.mx out of service ??

by gomexico Online Now May 27, 2005 at 6:45 AM

Going to or coming from . . . where?

Cristobal Colon officially changed its name to "OCC" (I'm forgetting what the initials stand for) and some of the schedule for that service can now be found on the website www.ticketbus.com.mx - you might try checking there.

There are no websites that I know of that provide complete information about arrivals/departures for the busses. And las Casas is served by bus companies in addition to OCC. And, most of the time, it's not necessary to buy tickets before the day of your trip - at least that's been my own experience.

Be flexible, go to the bus station and see which service is being offered. Don't just look for direct and non-stop service. Most bus travel in Mexico seems to be accomplished by traveling in segments - taking a bus from one point to another and changing busses and maybe even bus lines in order to continuing moving toward your ultimate destination. And, most service offered is "second class," as compared to the limited offerings of first-class bus travel. Actually, I prefer the second-class busses for most trips, especially in the Oaxaca/Chiapas region of the country.

Enjoy the adventure!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: http://www.cristobalcolon.com.mx out of service ??

by pedrocarlos Online Now May 27, 2005 at 7:20 PM

• RE: RE: http://www.cristobalcolon.com.mx out of service ??

by Mexicococo Online Now May 30, 2005 at 11:45 AM

Thanks

I did try checking throughout ticket bus, but did not display any information about Zipolite SCDC either nor Puerto Escondido SCDC, or Potchula SCDC
    I will be staying in Zipolite and try to know if there is a bus leaving at nignt, from Zipolite, I would need some time, in order to go to the bus station, and need also to know how many nights, I will stay, this why my question.

Thanks for advice and enjoy you day

OCC means Omnibus

• gomexico's Profile Photo

RE: RE: http://www.cristobalcolon.com.mx out of service ??

by gomexico Online Now May 31, 2005 at 7:08 AM

Thanks

I did try checking throughout ticket bus, but did not display any information about Zipolite SCDC either nor Puerto Escondido SCDC, or Potchula SCDC
    I will be staying in Zipolite and try to know if there is a bus leaving at nignt, from Zipolite, I would need some time, in order to go to the bus station, and need also to know how many nights, I will stay, this why my question.

Thanks for advice and enjoy you day

OCC means Omnibus

Transportation services in Mexico aren't as technologically savvy as services in more developed countries, so what you're looking for in the way of information doesn't exist. You'll have to piece together your trip "on the go."

From the Pacific Coast of Oaxaca you'll have to hop aboard the first bus that comes along that'll take you as far as Salina Cruz. Estrella Blanca is the bus company offering most of the service along that stretch of MX. Hwy. 200 and most will be second-class. From Salina Cruz you can ask around for the departure point for busses to Tuxtla Gutierrez in Chiapas. I doubt you'll find service to las Casas from Salina Cruz. In Tuxtla Gutierrez you'll again ask for the departure point for busses, this time for busses headed to las Casas. There's the rare chance that a bus will come along Hwy. 200 in Oaxaca that's headed for Tuxtla Gutierrez, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope that it'll materialize. Busses will be heading up and down the coast all day, but I recommend you travel Hwy. 200 only during daylight hours (it's like the "Wild West" along that highway, and bus hold-ups and bandits aren't just tall tales).

Don't worry about purchasing bus tickets in advance, there'll be no need to do that on the routes you'll be traveling. Just show up an hour before the bus is scheduled to depart. Oftentimes, bus company agents won't be selling tickets until the bus pulls in and they know how many seats are available. As I indicated, most of the service will be second-class (which isn't all that bad).
    Bring your own water and snacks, as well as a roll of toilet paper.

Also, make certain your passport and FMT (Mexican-issued travel card obtained upon entry to Mexico) are someplace you can get to them quickly. There will likely be one or two military checkpoints where the bus will stop and foreigners are oftentimes singled-out for identity and document checks, from what I've experienced.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Cristóbal de Las Casas