San Cristóbal de Las Casas Travel Answers

change location
taxing's Profile Photo

Palenque, Agua Azul and Yaxchitlan

by taxing Online Now Nov 19, 2004 at 6:18 PM

I have six days in December and would like to see San Cristobal, and then book a tour so I can see Palenque, Agua Azul and Yaxchitlan. Does anyone have any recommendations for a tour guide or company?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Palenque, Agua Azul and Yaxchitlan

by leesgardner Online Now Jan 28, 2005 at 9:37 AM

I have not used a tour guide, but had a great visit to San Cristobol, Agua Azul, and Palenque. I don't think you need a guide, unless you don't speak any Spanish or if you are a fist time visitor. Either way you are in for a treat. The ruins at Palenque are awsome and you are pretty much on your own (unless it has changed in the last couple of years?) At Agua Azul I would recommend that you dress down and stay near other tourists. Be sure to see the Market in San Cristobol. You are only a short distance to Guadamala and with 6 days you might consider crossing the border? Have fun and drop a line about your trip!!1 Adios Jefe

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • e-katarina's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Palenque, Agua Azul and Yaxchitlan

by e-katarina Online Now Aug 4, 2005 at 12:00 AM

I agree that for Palenque, no need for a tour.. you're better off going there the evening before, and taking a combi very early in the morning to the ruins.. they are in a back street parallel to the main street in the town.. can find out more details on that if you want..

By going early, you'll get the full atmosphere of these beautiful jungle ruins.. maybe the mist and cloud will still be lingereing.. and you'll get there before all the others.. not as many people as in other places, but there are more people mid-day than in the early hours..

For Agua Azul (perhaps you'll also want to see Misol'Ha) you can do it on you're own by getting onto a Comitan bound truck or minibus.. just be aware that it'll take you a full day, cos you must wait for transport and all, but it's a lot of fun.. (can give you more details if you need), but many agenciey in Palenque offer the tour.. the trouble is, time is limited, especially in Misol'Ha where they usually stop only 30 mins.. some tours will also go to Agua Clara for an extra fee..

• Re: Palenque, Agua Azul and Yaxchitlan

by mlleway Online Now Feb 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM

When I was there a couple years ago, there was a day trip (14hr day) from San Cristobal to Palenque, Misol-Ha, and Agua Azul for about30 for transportation and entry. It was mostly just good for the transportation and being able to do it all in one day. If you have time, just go to Palenque for a day or two, and ask at your hotel where to pick up transportation to the beauties of the area.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines