San Carlos de Bariloche Travel Answers

change location
pecaspeca's Profile Photo

Actual Weather/Ash Condition

by pecaspeca Online Now Nov 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Hi,

I will be travalling to Argentina in early December. I have been told that the Airport at Bariloche will remain closed until late December because of maintenance work after due to the ashes from the volcano.

It is an option to take a bus, BUT I would like to know how are the conditions right now in Bariloche. I don't want to spend 8hrs in a bus just to find a cloudy-gray Bariloche covered with ashes.

Thanks!

-Melissa

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Mesven's Profile Photo

Re: Actual Weather/Ash Condition

by Mesven Online Now Nov 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM

The Puyehue volcano in Chile has been erupting for the past week, throwing air travel and tourism into chaos. The entire city of Bariloche is isolated as ash spewed by the volcano began falling all over town.

According to today’s Buenos Aires Herald, Bariloche authorities have told the population to remain calm, to keep their water reserves at hand and to remain inside their homes at all times in order to avoid the falling ash.

After a red alert was declared, Bariloche authorities shut down the airport. Firemen also asked the population to seal all windows and take their cars into their garages. The ash cloud is expected to expand all over the Río Negro and Chubut provinces, in the south of Argentina.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Carlos de Bariloche