San Antonio Travel Answers

change location
travelgourmet's Profile Photo

What section of the city to live in?

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I have been interested in having a holiday townhome or condo in San Antonio and don't know that much about residential living in the city or even within 10 miles of city center. It would not be my permanent home unless I fell in love with the Texan hospitality. What section would be desirable as a home away from home. Thanks in advance to any locals that may help. :-)

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

Re: What section of the city to live in?

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I have spent several weeks in/around SA several times and have too considered getting a second home/condo there. My choice is the River Walk area just due to the stuff within the walking area. I have always stayed at the Hilton right on the walk and I have seen a Sheraton (I think) just up the river from there that is a hotel/residence building. I have no idea on the cost, but that would be a great location.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Larry, the only neighborhood I know anything about in SA is the King William Historic District, a collection of amazing homes that were up, then down, now up again. As often happens in decaying urban centers, the gay population moved in, and in my case, two lesbian friends of my first wife bought a lovely home there.

However, I don't know that this makes for a good vacation home, in that you probably need to live there and be a part of the community year-round. If you want just a part-time vacation property, I would, indeed, look at condos or the like near the Riverwalk in a building where an empty condo would not be so noticeable and which the management could better watch out for you...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Jim and Bill. Thanks for the idea of the Riverwalk area. I would most likely spend at least 3-4 months a year in San Antonio. I have an interest in the San Antonio Botanical Garden.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines