San Antonio Travel Answers

change location
acloud's Profile Photo

Camping

by acloud Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

We want to take our grand kids RV camping and would like to stay within an hour of San Antonio. Any suggestions of State Parks that would be good for us? Hiking, bike riding, camp fires, things like that. What about Pendernales SP?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Camping

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 7:52 AM

When do you plan on doing this? Summer? Pedernales Falls is nice. My first choice would be Lost Maples though.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • WBeall's Profile Photo

by WBeall Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Pedernales Falls State Park is about 68 miles from San Antonio and does have RV hook ups. Now with a Texas State park you always want to call ahead and make reservations, I have driven out to the park on several occasions and the park is full with only the primitive camping left. Pedernales is a really nice park and would be worth your drive. They have the falls where you can bike ride or hike to and the kids can go swimming while yall fish or yall can go tubing. The entire park is extremely nice. The entrance fee is $6 for an adult and free for 12 and under. $20 for an rv site.

There is also Blanco State park but it seems to be near a shopping area and probably a lot more busy and active then regular campgrounds where you just want to get away to the peace and quiet. Blanco State Park is in the town Blanco and is about a 40 min drive from San Antonio. It is $4 for an entrance fee and free for 12 and under. $20 for an rv site.

Guadalupe river state park is about 30 miles from San Antonio. It is $7 for an adult and Free for 12 and under. The Rv site is also $20 a night. This park is on the Guadalupe River and can be very active during the peak season but is still a lot of fun and its not very far from San Antonio.

Lost Maples State Park is about an hour and 45 min and it is only $3 for the entrance free and free for 12 and under. It is also $20 for a nightly RV site. It looks like a really nice park with lots of canyons, springs, and woods.

I hope this helps! I am a State Park fan because I know they will usually be clean and have all of the necessities in a campground. I hope you and your Grandkids have a great time!

Whitney

1 member found this helpful

• acloud's Profile Photo

by acloud Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Thanks for the info, Whitney. I had just about decided on Pendernales SP when I read your reply and that sealed it for me. Too bad it will be too cool in March to get in the water, but it's Texas, so it could warm up enough to splash around!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• WBeall's Profile Photo

by WBeall Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Glad I could help.. Yall have a blast! You never know about the weather.. it is Texas and in one second it could be in the 90's lol

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines