San Angelo Travel Answers

change location
fancydancer's Profile Photo

Transport fr. San Angelo, TX to New Orleans

by fancydancer Online Now Jul 20, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Hi all,
Does anyone know the easiest way to get from San Angelo, TX to New Orleans? Perhaps a bus or train route?? Thanks.
-Rea

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • olddude's Profile Photo

Re: Transport fr. San Angelo, TX to New Orleans

by olddude Online Now Jul 20, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Easiest way is to fly. American Eagle (American Airlines) has flights from Mathis Field. There is also bus service, but as you know (if you are actually in San Angelo), it will be a long bus ride. San Angelo is not served by Amtrak (wasn't when I lived there), so the train is out. May I ask why you are there? Not to offend anyone, but even people I know from Texas when I lived there called it the "armpit of Texas". Are you there because you know someone in the military or at San Angelo State?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Jul 20, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I always thought that Midland was the armpit of Texas, but it seems to vary quite a bit. San Angelo has some redeeming qualities, I think.
    No train service, yes, but you can take the train from New Orleans to San Antonio, then jump on a Greyhound to San Angelo. Personally, I'd much rather do a longer journey on a train than a bus, even though it is usually slightly more expensive.
    hth

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 20, 2008 at 8:34 PM

As Al (olddude) says, the easiest way is to fly. The bus is not faster than driving, and driving would take 13 hours...assuming you don't fall asleep and kill yourself...and the bus has got to take a lot longer (ouch)...

Bill

• fancydancer's Profile Photo

by fancydancer Online Now Jul 26, 2008 at 4:41 PM

One of my best friends is at the base over there and I'm trying to figure out the easiest and CHEAPEST way for her to meet me out in New Orleans.

• olddude's Profile Photo

by olddude Online Now Jul 26, 2008 at 5:15 PM

If your friend is on Goodfellow (active duty military?), she can go to the MWR tour and travel office on base and they can tell her the best way. They may even have discounts or trip packages for her depending on mode of transportation.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines