Salzburg Travel Answers

change location

St.Gilgen/St.Wolfgang and Halstatt trip

by RaginiPai Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

We will be in Salzburg in March 2013 (my hubby,myself and my 10 year old daughter). I am planning a day trip to St.Gilgen and Halstatt. I read about various discount day tickets and found it very confusing. This is what I understood. Please correct me and advice.
The ERT(Einfach Raus Ticket) is valid only on trains and the there is a day bus regional pass only for buses but we need combination of both the above travel. Please advice the best route/transportation/day ticket for my trip. Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • Austrian_NTO's Profile Photo

Re: St.Gilgen/St.Wolfgang and Halstatt trip

by Austrian_NTO Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 6:14 AM

I don't know if the regional pass in this case is valid, as Salzburg is one region, but St. Gilgen and Hallstatt belong to another one (Upper Austria).

What you can do is buying a bus ticket to St. Gilgen and furthermore to Bad Ischl. And from there for the rest of the day the ERT vill be valid all the way back to Salzburg via Attnang-Puchheim. Just be aware of the fact that you are only allowed to take REGIONAL trains to come back, such as R, REX and S- trains. No RJ, EC, IC and OIC boardings permitted.

Regards
    Ottavio N.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by Austrian_NTO Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 6:19 AM

I'm sorry. St. Gilgen is, of course, in the same region like Salzburg, only Hallstatt is in Upper Austria.

The above described return trip to Salzburg via Attnagn-Pucchiem might be longer, but you can do the whole thing by rail paying for all 32 Euros. As well the trip between Bad Ischl and Hallstatt on your outbound trip.
    If the bus day pass is as well valid for Hallstatt and if it costs less compared to the ERT then just search the bus connections at www.postbus.at/en. Go to the advance search and select only the bus symbol.

• Re: St.Gilgen/St.Wolfgang and Halstatt trip

by RaginiPai Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Thank you soo much for the reply. Is there no "all-transport" pass ? More than the saving it is the convinience of taking any transport ur way without wrrying about buying tickets, having change etc evrytime. Where can I find how much the bus pass costs and its validity(as in upper austria is include etc)?

by Austrian_NTO Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 5:46 AM

This would be the english website of the public transport of the region Salzburg: www.svv-info.at/en/home
    There is as well a section where it says "cross-border travel" and this gives you the result, that You CAN indeed buy a pass which is also valid for Upper Austria: www.svv-info.at/en/tickets-and-fares/cross-border-travel/

I would simply write an e-mail to ask how many zones you need to buy for the whole itinerary: office@svv-info.at

Thanks to your request I have now as well learned something new :)

Best regards
    Ottavio N.

by RaginiPai Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Thank u so much Ottavio.

Their website is under construction( English version) so no luck there. And actually I have written to them this morning and will post the answer here for everyone's info. Thanks for all the help once again.

by RaginiPai Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Oops...sorry website is up.....it was not a few days back.....

by RaginiPai Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Reply from svv regarding my query

for your trip from Salzburg to St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang, Bad Ischl and Hallstatt it would be the best if you buy two regular daily tickets from Salzburg to Hallstatt (€ 26,60) for you and your husband and a daily ticket for children (Minimum tariff € 13,40) for your daughter. This ticket is valid for travelling the whole day in every direction between Salzburg an Hallstatt, so you can visit all places of the planned trip.

the tickets are 2 regular daily tickets for adults – in german „Tageskarte“ – for Salzburg to Hallstatt and one daily ticket for children called “Tageskarte Minimum”.

by Austrian_NTO Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 4:44 AM

And now compare it with the Einfach Raus Ticket for 32 Euros for all of you, which would, in your case, cover the following train sections:

Bad Ischl-Hallstatt
    Hallstatt- Salzburg via Gmunden and Attnang Puchheim. The change is only in Attnang-Puchheim

Calculate how much single tickets for all would be from Salzburg to St. Gilgen and to Bad Ischl and then chose the best option.

Regards
    Ottavio N.

by RaginiPai Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Thanks so much Ottavio. I think I will stick with the tagerskarte as then I have much liberty to get off, get on any transport without worrying if the ticket s applicable or not and also save time.
    My plan is to takean early morning bus to hallstatt, and then on the way back, get down at strobl and if time permits, do both st.wolfgang and st.gilgen otherwise only st.gilgen(as it is on the way) and I came to know that ferries are not still not operational on lake wolfgang in march. How does it sound ....please suggest any changes to make the trip a memorable one.....

by Austrian_NTO Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Well the boat trips start on March 23rd, but limited only to Saturday, Sundayas and ban holidays:
    www.schafbergbahn.at/images/stories/fahrplanundpreise/Frhlingsfahrplan2013.pdf
    During the easter holidays the have daily service from March 28th untill April 1st. The "real" dayly service starts on April 27th.
    So you quit Hallstatt. I think you have in any case planned a very nice day trip. Perhaos with Hallstatt it would hav been too stressy...I'm thinking now about your kid coming with you.

Have a nice holiday in Austria.

Ottavio N.

by Austrian_NTO Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Oh sorry, you start with Hallstatt and then the various stops an your way back. By leaving very early this is of course as well possible. The most inportant thing is that you enjoy and relax and not get stressed to reach the next "section" of your daytrip.

by RaginiPai Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yes that is my plan also to start as early as possible.....but I checked the timetable, there is a bus from salzburg to bad ischl(150) at 6:10 in the morning and then the next one at 8:22 ...nothing in between which would have been ideal....any other bus or is it only 150?

by Austrian_NTO Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I'm afraid, there is nothing in between and no other lines provides this service.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines