Salvador da Bahia Travel Answers

change location

Costs

by sb09 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Hi :) I am heading to Bahia at the end of March where I will be on a portugese course for 2 weeks before a 7 wk research project. I was wondering if anyone could estimate costs for food/travel/mobile phone line rental and going out costs per week?

Many Thanks :)

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • bahiana77's Profile Photo

Re: Costs

by bahiana77 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM

You haven't given enough info about yourself and your habits for an accurate answer regarding individual consumption, destinations for travel, and usage habits for communications.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Costs

by sb09 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Sorry, so am living near fiocruz. Have an apartment sorted for around 1600R a month, is this expensive? I will cook mainly in the apartment and will probably but dinner out 2 times a week. I will probably have a night out a week, how much does a night out in a club often cost with 2/3 drinks/entry/taxi etc? Just a rough estimate?

And how much are sim cards payg just enough for 150mins or so and texts, possibly data per month?

I was estimating 40 pounds a week on food (around 80-90R) and 25pounds a week on nights out (around 70-75R) and 10 pounds (25-30R) on other actvities? Does this sound reasonable or too much too little?

by bahiana77 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Does this have something to do with Centro de Pesquisas Goncalo Moniz? Otherwise I can't imagine why you would be paying R$1600, which should buy you an oceanview deluxe furnished apto a minute from the beach in a chic-er neighborhood like Porto Da Barra, not in a ghetto like Candeal, where you should probably be paying half that or less, even furnished. This is a neighborhood that most first time visitors might find a bit daunting. You should plan on taking taxis in and out after dark, at least R$25+ each time. I would also up your basic budget by at least 20%, maybe 30%. A moqueca dinner in a basic restaurant, which might feed 2 though, should be between R$25-50 depending on neighborhood. "Por kilo" restaurants, where you pay according to your appetite and how much you take, are a good value for lunch, but prices and quality do vary widely. Music venues have varying cover/ticket price, from free to R$40+. For local calls, get a chip and just refill your phone on the street as you need; service is rather expensive compared to Europe, US, etc..

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I'm not sure about the typical property rates in Salvador, but I will say that foreigners cay typically pay up to 30% more for rent if they don't have proper documentation (CPF, proof of collateral equity in Brazil, etc.). The reason is because the owner and/or renting agency will be taking some of the responsibility to process the documents on your behalf, secure insurance, etc. So if you really want to keep your rent low, try to make a deal with someone as a roommate and simply pay them cash for your share.

by bahiana77 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Foreigners typically pay more because they rent short term furnished apartments in the more expensive tourist areas, with utilities already set up.

• Re: Costs

by euricoadm Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Hello, I´m Martins, from Goiania, right in the center of Brasil and I´m living in Salvador/Bahia for 6 months. Salvador isn´t that expensive city, but you have to be aware about where you go and where you buy stuff. My case: I spend US$ 650,00 (US$ 1 = R$ 2) in a apart with 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 1 garage. The apart is near to Salvador Shopping. Its is a good area to live. You can find one bedroom flat for the same price, maybe, with furniture. You can have a meal in the shopping for US$ 10 or US$ 15 (a good one and not fast food. Proper meal). If you go to a restaurante or a bar, you´ll find dishers for US$ 30 or US$ 40. To cook at home its much cheaper. About transport, I use my car to get around and work, but the public transport isn´t good. I think the tkt is around US$ 1,50, but it crowded and slow. Maybe two or three hours to cross the city, it depends on if its rush hour or not. I spent US$ 15,00 in a taxi crossing the city last week. It was saturday morning and took 30 min. There are a lot of "combos" to mobile line, some cheaps, some expensive. You cand find something around US$ 60 /m with 100 min + 50 sms + 200 mg. (I think it´s rediculos). I you go out, prepare yourself to spend arround US$ 50 just to drink 3 bears e eat something. Nightclubs = US$ 40 just the tkt go get in. Well, I hope you enjoy the beachs. The best ones are out of the city. Have a nice time!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines