Salvador Travel Answers

change location
jelefant's Profile Photo

Winter in Brazil (August)

by jelefant Online Now Jul 9, 2006 at 9:26 AM

I'll be spending 3 weeks in Salvador, Brazil in August. Do women wear white dresses, pants and skirts in winter (August) in Brazil or do they favor darker colors?

Also, should I buy travelers checks or rely on ATM machines. Obrigada!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bahiana77's Profile Photo

RE: Winter in Brazil (August)

by bahiana77 Online Now Jul 9, 2006 at 10:21 AM

White clothes in Brazil are used for religious festivals, etc. to show purity and have less to do with seasons. Salvador is not a wealthy city. Even middle class women have fewer outfits than their American or European counterparts; poor women are lucky to have a couple of sets of clothes without holes. No one I know there is preoccupied with what to wear, or with what someone else is wearing, although everyone takes pains to look as nice as they can. Just bring what you already have in the way of summer clothes. It is still relatively warm there in August.

Traveller's checks have to be changed at the bank, which usually takes an extra 2% or so to do so. A Casa de Cambio gives the best exchange rates (for cash). I have had problems with my ATM on occasion (and you must have a 4 digit PIN). Credit cards (Visa, MasterCard) are accepted in most hotels, restaurants, shops, etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • robine's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Winter in Brazil (August)

by robine Online Now Jul 9, 2006 at 4:05 PM

Please don't worry about dress. ATMs, for sure.

• Lady_Disdain's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Winter in Brazil (August)

by Lady_Disdain Online Now Jul 10, 2006 at 8:12 AM

No problem there - you will find that most people avoid lighter colors just when it rains (very sensible precaution - light shirts may become transparent in the rain and white pants show every spot of dirty water spattered on them!) and not because of the temperature.

• Kittelite's Profile Photo

RE: Winter in Brazil (August)

by Kittelite Online Now Jul 16, 2006 at 12:52 PM

'stay away from travellerschecques!!!!!!! They charge you from 20 - 50 pr checque!!! Only the departement of "Citibank" near the Lighthouse, and in the "cidade Baixo" change the checques for no commission.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines