Salta Travel Answers

change location
rjberb's Profile Photo

A week in Salta

by rjberb Online Now Jan 26, 2010 at 4:43 PM

My wife and I are considering spending a week in the Salta. We wpild appreciate any information on things to do, where to stay, towns to visit in the area etc.

Thank you
rjberb

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: A week in Salta

by vtveen Online Now Jan 27, 2010 at 1:21 AM

You could start reading the info on Virtual Tourist from me and other members.
    Till yet I do have 'only' tips about the city of Salta (Salta: breathtaking scenery and a pleasant capital - Provincia de Salta,... from our visit this year.

If you want to visit more of the northwestern part of Argentina I would recommend to make some trips (by rental car) to the north and south of Salta.
    North:
    - Purmamarca and the salt flats of Salinas Grandes
    - Tilcara and Humahuaca
    South:
    - Cachi
    - Cafayate

Happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

by sabrina_florida Online Now Jan 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Good choice! I loooved my trip there 2 years ago. I think I've already uploaded some of the pictures.

Let's see... you should see Cafayate, Salta capital, maybe Cachi and you should definitely take at least a day trip and go to Purmamarca, which is actually in Jujuy province. It's a tiny town very popular due to its Seven-colour mountain! From there you can take a 2 hour excursion and go to the salt lake (Salinas Grandes).

Have fun!

• rjberb's Profile Photo

by rjberb Online Now Jan 27, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Thank you for your help. Do you suggested staying in the town of Salta and visiting the other locations as day trips?
    Bob and Emily

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Jan 28, 2010 at 1:00 AM

If you like (a lot of) driving you can do it as day trips (for instance a trip to Purmamarca and the salt flats will easily take 8 hours driving !!).
    I would recommend staying in Salta and Purmamarca. Depending on your time you could make a loop drive to Cachi and Cafayate and back to Salta; otherwise a day trip/or an extra stay in Cafayate.
    (For some of my photo's of the area take a look at: flickr.com/photos/vtveen/set...

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

by PrincessMonja Online Now Apr 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Hi there!

My husband and I went to Salta a few years ago. We planned to stay a few days, but ended up staying two weeks! We spent most of our time staying at the Hostal Terra Occulta http://www.terraoculta.com/home.htm; but as it was my birthday while we were there we stayed a few days at the Hotel Salta http://www.hotelsalta.com/, which was lovely (and has a pool).

We went to Álvarez for lunch several times (cheap menu and lots of local colour! - it's close to the Terra Occulta). Each night we enjoyed sitting in the main square, drinking wine and eating empañadas, yum!

We also went on a fantastic riding trip with Enrique, the gaucho, check out the website at saltacabalgatas.com.ar/eng/i...

I hope you have a fantastic time,

best wishes

Princess Monja

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines