Salta Travel Answers

change location
conorworld's Profile Photo

Salta Trip Advice

by conorworld Online Now Apr 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Hello. I was considering visiting Salta in the next few months and I don't know much about it except the photos that I have seen. I was interested in seeing the salt flats and some of the gorges. I heard it is generally better to book your trips when you arrive. I was wondering what should one definitely see when I am there. I want to go and see the salt flats and the mountains. I am guessing you can get tours when you arrive. I was wondering how much it would cost and is it possible to do the salt flats and surrounding areas in 1-2 days. Thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: Salta Trip Advice

by vtveen Online Now Apr 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Salta and Jujuy are wonderful, but you really need more time to explore the scenery. My tips ('must see's):
    - one day in Salta; beautiful buildings, interesting museums and the 'teleferico'.
    - Cachi, along the Cuesta del Obispo, including Los Cardones Nat. Park
    - Cachi - Cafayate, along a pretty tough but driveable way (Ruta 40); nice scenery and quite an adventure
    - Cafayate - Salta, through the impressive Quebrada de Cafayate with impressive rock formations, make a side trip to Cabra Corral
    - Purmamarca and Salinas Grandes;
    - evntually Tilcara and Humahuaca

You can get tours everywhere in Salta, but consider renting a car (as we did); driving in Salta/Jujuy is very easy and we didn't have any problem at all.

For salta we stayed in San Lorenzo (15 minutes by local bus) in a very nice B&B called Casa Hernandez, which is very cheap (less than 100 pesos a day !!)

happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • conorworld's Profile Photo

by conorworld Online Now Apr 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Thanks for that. I don't drive so that puts renting a car out of the way. I was thinking of arriving on a Monday and seeing the city. Tuesday an all day trip up to the Salt Flats and a few other places and the last day down in wine country. I just have to find a place to stay. I found a decent place:
    http://www.chateaudelcerro.com.ar/
    Im guessing the prices are in pesos? Is it far from the city centre is what I would be wondering.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Apr 13, 2009 at 12:23 AM

I don't know the hotel, but it looks very good.
    Prices are in pesos.
    It is rather far away from the city centre, but with a taxi (very cheap in Argentina) it is not a problem; the hotel website says 8 minutes.

Jaap

• puppis's Profile Photo

by puppis Online Now Apr 13, 2009 at 6:26 AM

http://www.lasrejashostel.com.ar/

Some british friends had a room here past february, and they said it was fine.
    Check the web page.

A good local tour company in Salta is this one: www.turismotastil.com.ar. You can read there how many daily tours they have. They also do the city tour in english (and maybe the rest of the tours, I dont know).
    July is vacation time for school childrens, just 10 days but with a different calendar for each province. So, if you can, avoid travelling north (and everywhere in fact) unles you have reservations. June 17 is the Day of Guemes, the local heroe during the Colonial Wars. There must be a nice gaucho parade in Salta capital.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines