Salta Travel Answers

change location
carloarg02's Profile Photo

Problems breathing in Argentine NW, esp. for babies?

by carloarg02 Online Now Jul 22, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Hello,

We have a 5-month old baby and we'd like to visit the Argentine NW, probably using Salta as a main hub and going to San Antonio de los Cobres, Salinas Grandes, Humahuaca, etc, etc. A few of those are way up there in terms of elevation. Before we had the baby, we traveled to Cusco so we're familiar with high altitude headaches, etc. We're not concerned about us, but we are concerned about our baby.

Have you or anybody you know traveled to the Argentine NW with a baby? What do you recommend? I remember in Cusco you could rent an oxygen tank - perhaps that would be an option in Salta and suroundings?

thanks!
Carlos

------

Hola!

Tenemos un bebe de 5 meses y queriamos visitar el Noroeste Argentino, posiblemente con Salta como origen y de ahi a San Antonio de los Cobres, Salinas Grandes, Humahuaca, etc, etc. Algunos de esos lugares estan bien arriba a nivel del mar. Antes de tener el bebe, viajamos a Cusco, asi que no desconocemos los dolores de cabeza por la altitud, etc. No nos preocupa por nosotros, pero si por el bebe.

Vos o alguien que conoces ha viajado al NOA con un bebe? Que recomendas? Me acuerdo que en Cusco podiamos alquilar un tanque de oxigeno - quizas esa seria una opcion en Salta y sus alrededores?

Gracias!

Carlos

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • puppis's Profile Photo

Re: Problems breathing in Argentine NW, esp. for babies?

by puppis Online Now Jul 22, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Hola Carlos, no te puedo contestar lo que pregfuntas, pero tal vez un pediatra? Suerte.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Problems breathing in Argentine NW, esp. for babies?

by vanzara Online Now Jul 22, 2007 at 1:41 PM

We were in Salta last march. We worked with a local guide to take us to places you want to go to and also Calaftye - wine country. She took three of us in
    her car to see all places and we stayed in nice, locally owned, small hotel.
    She knows local resturants and is from Salta. She is very helpful.
    you can e mail me if interested.

• MacLnd's Profile Photo

Re: Problems breathing in Argentine NW, esp. for babies?

by MacLnd Online Now Jul 26, 2007 at 5:11 AM

Hello.. I've been there with my children and we never had puna problems. The only place where we felt the altitude was on our way to San Antonio de los Cobres - we went by truck from Salta thru Quebrada de los Toros. As you approach to El Nevado de Acay (5900 mts) in an area called Abra Blanca it gets really high. Maybe you can avoid this if you go to San Antonio de los Cobres via Purmamarca / Cuesta del Lipan / Salinas Grandes.
    I hope this helps. Suerte!
    Mac

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines