Salt Lake City Travel Answers

change location
Adrianobr's Profile Photo

SLC to Denver via Telluride and Vail

by Adrianobr Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 5:20 AM

My family and I are planning to go from SLC to Telluride, Vail up to Denver-CO next Jan, driving by I-70 and US-191,62, 550, etc.... According to climate conditions, is it a good route? or I will face many closures?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: SLC to Denver via Telluride and Vail

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Where is Route 62?

US 550 between Durango and Montrose is a very curvy, mountainous route that is best avoided in winter if you do not absolutely have to take it. You would be better off, I think, taking US 50 to I-25. I-70 also can see closures in the winter, but is a top priority to keep open. State Route 146 - the route into Telluride - is also very curvy and mountainous and is not a good road to be on in January.

You're basically cutting across all of Colorado so the chances are good you'll encounter at least one closure. If you don't encounter a closure, you'll certainly encounter a section where chains are required. If you have a rental car, you won't be able to put on chains.

If it were me, I would pick one ski spot and just spend more time there. That way, you don't have to worry about driving. I guess it depends on how much time you have though.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • atufft's Profile Photo

Re: SLC to Denver via Telluride and Vail

by atufft Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Yes, stay on the Interstate routes in winter as much as possible. From SLC, you can take I-80 to Cheyenne, WY, then I-25 south to Denver, for example. The routes into the skii resorts are mostly from the Denver, I-25 and I-70 side of the Rockies. I-80 is much safer than I-70 in winter, although closure of these routes is common when a snow storm arrives. Don't forget the chains.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines