Salisbury Travel Answers

change location
oisha's Profile Photo

Stonehenge on Christmas Day

by oisha Online Now Dec 21, 2009 at 6:56 AM

Hello

We will be passing through Wiltshire by car on Christmas Day. I understand Stonehenge is closed that day. Is there anything of Stonehenge to be seen from any of the roads nearby? I'm guessing there are very few vantage points (ie. hills) nearby...

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • graeme83's Profile Photo

Re: Stonehenge on Christmas Day

by graeme83 Online Now Dec 21, 2009 at 7:18 AM

You can easily see Stonehenge itself through a mesh fence from the road nearby. Although the stones are about 200m away it does save you on the entrance fee :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • oisha's Profile Photo

by oisha Online Now Dec 21, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Thanks Graeme! Very helpful :)
    Do you happen to know which road? The A344?

• graeme83's Profile Photo

by graeme83 Online Now Dec 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM

I don't know the name of the road, but it is the same road as the car park for Stonehenge. You should be able to use this car park and just cross the road to see it. The signposting is quite good from the main A-road.

• puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Dec 21, 2009 at 8:04 AM

I did a walk around the area passing Stonehenge this year. More details on:

members.virtualtourist.com/m...

Indeed you can get glimpses of Stonehenge from the A 303 the main road and elsewhere. The visitor centre (closed on Xmas Eve and Day) is on the A344.
    Have a look at my info?
    Great place to visit when the weather is good but at the moment its not brilliant.
    That picture on my page showing the sheep and the stones was taken from the field that is owned by the National Trust and easily accessed.

The actual coordinates of the stones are here and can be seen on Google:

51.178844,-1.826189

• qaminari's Profile Photo

by qaminari Online Now Dec 22, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Anyone travelling down to the West Country on the A303 has to pass by Stonehenge and you can see it easily from the road, though stopping on the road would be another matter. But I hope you are following weather reports on TV, if it's as bad as it looks (hundreds of cars being abandoned in Basingstoke which is also on your route from London to Wiltshire) I have to wonder whether you will be making this journey...

• Re: Stonehenge on Christmas Day

by chrisb106 Online Now Dec 24, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Hi,
    Hopefully I am not posting too late, but are you driving from london on Christmas day?..I am stuck in London after problems with trains and have to make it down to Salisbury or somewhere near there tomorrow. I would be very very grateful if you did have some space in your car to maybe share the ride ( and petrol costs etc) to within the vicinity of Salisbury!

Thanks

Chris Bennett
    my email is chrisb106@hotmail.com ,mobile number 07810266654

• oisha's Profile Photo

by oisha Online Now Dec 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM

puertolover, that info was amazing! I will definitely go prepared for some hiking next time (this time I had no wellies and no time)! g, the roads were absolutely brilliant on Xmas Day. Nicest drive I've ever done in the UK. Chris, apologies I did not reply in time, but we were headed the other way, in to Heathrow. Hope you got transport.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines