Salisbury Travel Answers

change location
RhineRoll's Profile Photo

What are the Salisbury Plains?

by RhineRoll Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 7:39 AM

As I sometimes do, I was studying a GB road atlas, and my attention was caught by a fairly large white spot called the "Salisbury Plains". What is this place about, why is it so scarcely populated? Nuclear disaster area? Military training range? National park? No-go-zone of the local independence movement? Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • Re: What are the Salisbury Plains?

by MRBOBK Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 7:56 AM

Guten tag, Look at this page: shaister.com/archives/000058... I was in your neighboorhood in November, in Koln. Great city, love the Kolsch. Best regards, Bob K

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by Sitan666 Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 8:00 AM

A military training area.

• allikat's Profile Photo

Re: Re: What are the Salisbury Plains?

by allikat Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 11:40 AM

Not just a military training area. The Salisbury Plains is home to Stonehenge.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

by RhineRoll Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 11:55 AM

Thanks, folks. Stonehenge is between the A 360 and the A 303 near the villages of Shrewton and Amesbury. But further up north and north-west there is virtually nothing! .... Enford Down.... Littleton Down...TenantryDown.... just one road crossing this area and the rest entirely blank!

by allikat Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 12:45 PM

If I remember rightly, there are a lot of (unmarked) tank trails all over that area!

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

by RhineRoll Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 12:50 PM

Well, I guess mystery now solved...really looks like a large military training area.... As for stone circles I'll probably stick with the Isle of Lewis one... I'd like to visit Bath though one day -- and Devon and Cornwall!

by allikat Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 1:02 PM

I remember driving to see Stonehenge. looked through the fence. Was awed. Drove away. Saw 'woodhenge' marked on the map, so went to check that out. An ancient timber circle with low concrete posts to mark the spots where the rotted timber had once been. Was not awed. Have yet to see the Lewis one, but would love to one day.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 1:37 PM

Salisbury Plain is covered with ancient monuments, barrows, tombs, circles, processional ways etc. Its use for many years as a military training ground has, strangely, helped to limit the damage which might otherwise have been done to what is a hugely important prehistoric landscape. There is at least one village which was depopulated by the army (in the 1940's?), although the church is still standing and I believe a service is held there once a year. By the way, Woodhenge was originally as stunning as Stonehenge (which itself was preceded by a wood circle made of massive timbers about 40 feet high......there are three white circles in the car park which marks the site of some of the timbers, though most people think they're mini-roundabouts!). It is next to a huge Iron Age camp called Durrington Walls, unfortunately on private land and with no public access.

• simoncharris's Profile Photo

by simoncharris Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 1:55 PM

Salisbury plains are a military training area used by the army. I''m heading there early next year with my Territorial Army unit.

by henneth Online Now Dec 30, 2004 at 4:29 PM

If you head west of Stonehenge, through Shrewton and Chitterne, you can see on your right the vast expanse of Salisbury Plain and a shelled-out town, the ruins of which will never feature on any map.

• Elenitsa's Profile Photo

by Elenitsa Online Now Jan 1, 2005 at 2:38 AM

They've just reintroduced the Great Bustard onto the Plan....apparantly the heaviest flying bird in the world...the last local news report said that most were doing OK!

• joanj's Profile Photo

by joanj Online Now Jan 1, 2005 at 3:17 AM

HI, in todays paper there is a write up on the re-introduction to Wiltsthire of the Great Bustard, and Wiltshire was chosen as the first re-introduction to England of an extinct species as the bustard features on the county crest.. In August a conservationist released 22 orphaned chicks from Russia on Salisbury Plain in a bid to remedy the 172 yr. absence.

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

RE: RE: What are the Salisbury Plains?

by LouiseTopp Online Now Jan 22, 2006 at 9:28 AM

I think you mean the Village of Imber :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines