Salem Travel Answers

change location
kazander's Profile Photo

Car or Train?

by kazander Online Now Oct 12, 2004 at 7:04 AM

We're going to be staying in Boston during the Halloween weekend. We are going to go in to Salem on the day of Halloween and staying into the evening. I was wondering which is easier, taking the train from boston or driving? I know there will be a lot of traffic, but would the train really be better? Won't it be dreadfully crowded? Do i have to make reservations? Does it drop me far from the middle of things in Salem? Thanks for all your help!!!! Amy

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • kazander's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Car or Train?

by kazander Online Now Oct 12, 2004 at 7:13 AM

Well I certainly can't walk from Boston to Salem! By the time I got there Halloween would be over. Thanks for the "help"

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • KirstenL4W's Profile Photo

Re: Car or Train?

by KirstenL4W Online Now Oct 12, 2004 at 9:06 AM

You can take the T from North Station to Salem (www.mbta.com for more info). You don't need reservations, the T is a commuter train. Trains don't run as frequently on the weekends, but you won't have much of a problem getting to or from Salem. I don't recommend driving, both Boston and Salem are tough to get around if you don't know where you're going, and Salem especially is tough to find parking, and impossible to find parking at Halloween. Getting around Salem won't be too bad either, the train station and all the touristy stuff is pretty close together, so you won't mind walking around.

by kazander Online Now Oct 12, 2004 at 9:09 AM

Thanks for your help Kirsten!!!

• rwlittle's Profile Photo

by rwlittle Online Now Oct 17, 2004 at 11:14 AM

I would just advise caution...MBTA trains are not necessarily the most timely. Worst comes to worst, you can always take a cab back to Boston. It sounds like a fun visit though! Cheers Richard

• KirstenL4W's Profile Photo

by KirstenL4W Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 8:45 AM

The train runs approximately every hour on the weekends. You would take the Newburyport/Rockport line, doesn't matter what is the final destination because Salem is before the line splits. It takes about 20 minutes from North Station to Salem. A cab would be much more expensive than the T, and in a cab it will take a bit more than 20 minutes to get to your destination in Boston - it will take 10-15 minutes just to get to the highway from Salem. I've been on the T many many times and I've never had issues with it being on time.

by kazander Online Now Oct 18, 2004 at 8:51 AM

That's good to know. Thanks Again!

• Re: Re: Car or Train?

by dod Online Now Oct 22, 2004 at 6:39 AM

DON'T DRIVE.......................!!!! I live in Peabody, MA, about 4 miles from Salem Center. Halloween weekend, especially Halloween, is a great time in Salem, but if you drive it will take you forever and you may never get there. There is basically 1 way in and 1 way out of Salem and the roads aren't layed out well in the center because many of them were built in the 1600s. Normally traffic is not that big of an issue, but traffic during Halloween is a different story completely. My friend was trying to come up last year to go out in Salem. He was stuck in traffic stopped on 128 for 2 and a 1/2 hours before he even got off my exit. It took him that long to travel about a mile. Needless to say we did not make it out. You can take the Commuter Rail from North Station. I think the last train back to Boston on Saturday nights is relatively late, maybe midnight or 1 a.m. You can check the MBTA website. The train is pretty quick from north station, less than 1/2 hour and drops you off basically right in downtown Salem. All the action is no farther than a 1/2 mile walk from the train. HAVE FUN....

• Re: Re: Car or Train?

by dod Online Now Oct 22, 2004 at 6:42 AM

Also, you do not need reservations for the train. It's a commuter rail and has lots of places to sit. It may be busier than usual, but I think you will be alright. I think worst case there would be standing room only. Also, it tends to run very close to the schedule.

by kazander Online Now Oct 22, 2004 at 6:58 AM

Thanks for your help! It's defiantely settled that we will be taking the train!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines