Salcombe

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Athenaeum Street on Plymouth Hoe.... Please help with history

Plymouth Jan 4, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Hi, I am researching my property on the Plymouth Hoe but having a bit of trouble:( It was built in 1749 and stands as the first and largest house on Athenaeum Street. It was mentioned to of been built originally for a nobleman connected to St Andrews church and later rumored to of been used as the American Consulate during WW11, following that to be owed by Danny La Roue. These references where given to us by a man researching the area staying at the hotel across the road but he was just vacating so only spoke for a few mins. We also had a note left in the house from the previous owners when we purchased the property in 2009. The exterior of property was remodeled by Foulston during the development of Athenaeum Street in the 1800's and later the house was separated into 2 parts in 1903 (of which I purchased the main). The problem that I am having is that as the property is so old, I can not find out what the house was originally named or what the address would of been before Athenaeum Street was developed around it. I have found it may of been built on the site of ' Kingsdon Sq' from one old map also that it was not eligible to pay taxes from another map. I don't know the original owners details and can not find any pictures of any form dating back that far. I have been trying to collate the History with our son as a project for some time but the National Archives allude us. The property has been Grade II Listed and we think it's history really should be unearthed. We have also checked the census from 1851 and found the Baddeley family here who married in with the female Edgecumbes which to this day we still finde the Baddeley's and Edgecumbes very closely connected around the world. They also had alot of dealings in India. Please can anyone help at we have hit a wall ?

With kindest regards :) 30 Athenaeum Street PL1 2RQ

more