Saint Pierre and Miquelon Travel Answers

change location
dlandt's Profile Photo

Nice to see it arrived

by dlandt Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 3:55 PM

Has anyone actually been here? I'd be interested in hearing what it was like.

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • Re: Nice to see it arrived

by RobDavis Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 6:07 PM

I had a co-worker who was born and raised in the town of Miquelon. He always said he felt sorry for anyone who went there to visit, but that he always longed to go back. I called him for more info: (he laughed when I said someone from Chicago was looking into going there) There are about 7000 people on the two islands, and the main activities are fishing, fish processing, and some farms. Since it's a French-owned Island, few people speak English. For tourists, there isn't much other than some picturesque fishing villages. Good photo opportunities when the fog clears in the summer, but Spring and Fall are windy and foggy. I'd recommend Newfoundland - more to do, and you get the same type of scenery. It would definitely be a unique trip though!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dlandt's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Nice to see it arrived

by dlandt Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 6:17 PM

Well thanks. You know I actually planned on going to NF and was going to ferry over to SP&M to take a look around. Seemed like a good idea. What did your friend say about the food? And why does Air Canadacharge so much for flights to Newfoundland? All my best and thanks, Dave

• Re: Re: Nice to see it arrived

by RobDavis Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 6:34 PM

>>What did your friend say about the food? Sorry, didn't ask him that. With only 7K people on two islands, I can't imagine there would be many restaurants, but their tourism site boasts about them. >>And why does Air Canada charge so much for flights to Newfoundland? LOL - Air Canada charges a lot?? Must be because they're the only ones that fly there ;) You're looking at a1100 CDN flight from Halifax to St. John's. It's about a 2 hour flight. You might be able to find charters if you looked hard enough.

• dlandt's Profile Photo

by dlandt Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 6:43 PM

I think I'm going to use some miles for it. Anywhere in NA is 25000 miles. So I can fly free to Peoria and save 150 or fly free to NF and save US$900. No-brainer which one I'm going to pick. I only asked about the food because I read somewhere that Newfoundlanders went there for fine French cuisine and kind of doubted it. So I wonder if it is going to be visible on the VT map?

• Deus_ultima's Profile Photo

by Deus_ultima Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 6:58 PM

fly with tango. Much cheaper. go on www.destina.ca for prices on fliughts or go to www.flytango.ca

• dlandt's Profile Photo

by dlandt Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 7:14 PM

Tango seems really good, but won't let me book from Chicago. Or even Windsor which isn't all that far away. They fly out of Windsor so I might be able to arrange something.137 you can't beat but its from Toronto, a good 6.5 to seven hours away from me even at a good clip. Destina didn't seem to be much help.

• Deus_ultima's Profile Photo

by Deus_ultima Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 7:16 PM

sorry..thought you we're in canada.. :S

• dlandt's Profile Photo

by dlandt Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 7:20 PM

Once Oktoberfest in Winnipeg really kicks off I will be :)

• Pierre_Rouss's Profile Photo

by Pierre_Rouss Online Now Sep 6, 2002 at 9:45 PM

It's true about the language, it's mostly French but they manage. The food is terrific... French with Atlantic ingredients (too costly to import from Europe). Because of the small size of the islands, they won't allow you to take your car, therefore the best is to take the ferry from NFL. They will take charge of you and show you around. Yes there are plenty of restaurants and the scenary is breathtaking. Allow a few days to enjoy the sites, would be an error to zoom in and out. Pierre

• crummey's Profile Photo

Re: Nice to see it arrived

by crummey Online Now May 30, 2003 at 6:06 PM

St. Pierre et Miquelon is a department of France. St. Pierre is a number of islands. However, only two of these are occupied; St. Pierre and Miquelon. Miquelon is the larger. But it has a smaller population and more rural. St. Pierre is the capitol. A ferry runs between them. You can get to this Department of France by a ferry from Fortune Newfoundland or a plane from St. John's, Newfoundland. When arriving you must go through customs. However for US, CDN, EU persons, you only need simple ID; Passports and visas are not necessary.The currency is the Euro, but US and Canadian money are accepted. If you ask people where they are from, they say "La Baie", referring to Nfld's Fortune Bay, which their archipelago is nestled in. There are about 5-6000 people on the island of St. Pierre with about 2 1/2 thousand vehicles; You can drive around the whole island in about 15 minutes. It is rocky and virtually treeless with sheep scattered around munching on the green grass. The primary industry is fishing, followed by government. In "The Day”, smuggling was an important occupation; Al Capone visited the island. And one of his straw hats is on display at the Hotel Robert. For such a small place, the population is very affluent and the place has a vibrant nightlife. Most things are quite expensive. But being France, cigarettes and liquor are cheap. Whenever you buy something, get a packet of Gaulois cigarettes and some vin with it; Suddenly all seems cheap. The people are curious, warm and friendly. St. Pierre and Miquelon is a "must see" for all.

• crummey's Profile Photo

Re: Nice to see it arrived

by crummey Online Now May 30, 2003 at 6:07 PM

St. Pierre et Miquelon is a department of France. St. Pierre is a number of islands. However, only two of these are occupied; St. Pierre and Miquelon. Miquelon is the larger. But it has a smaller population and more rural. St. Pierre is the capitol. A ferry runs between them. You can get to this Department of France by a ferry from Fortune Newfoundland or a plane from St. John's, Newfoundland. When arriving you must go through customs. However for US, CDN, EU persons, you only need simple ID; Passports and visas are not necessary.The currency is the Euro, but US and Canadian money are accepted. If you ask people where they are from, they say "La Baie", referring to Nfld's Fortune Bay, which their archipelago is nestled in. There are about 5-6000 people on the island of St. Pierre with about 2 1/2 thousand vehicles; You can drive around the whole island in about 15 minutes. It is rocky and virtually treeless with sheep scattered around munching on the green grass. The primary industry is fishing, followed by government. In "The Day”, smuggling was an important occupation; Al Capone visited the island. And one of his straw hats is on display at the Hotel Robert. For such a small place, the population is very affluent and the place has a vibrant nightlife. Most things are quite expensive. But being France, cigarettes and liquor are cheap. Whenever you buy something, get a packet of Gaulois cigarettes and some vin with it; Suddenly all seems cheap. The people are curious, warm and friendly. St. Pierre and Miquelon is a "must see" for all.

by wuboy25 Online Now Jun 4, 2003 at 4:25 AM

Hi ! I actually live there, if u want some infos, e-mail me at wuboy25@hotmail.com !!!! but just an advice : come during summer !!! cause there's not much to do in winter, cause most of the youth (18-23 y-o) are gone in France or Canada to study, just as I do, I'm studying in France and go back to SPM

by wuboy25 Online Now Jun 4, 2003 at 4:27 AM

.... each summer.... in fact when about 300 students are back in a small 6k people island the nightlife is really exciting !!!!

by wuboy25 Online Now Jun 4, 2003 at 4:30 AM

...each summer ! and when 300 students are back at the same time on a 6K island, it occurs that nightlife is becoming really cool !!!

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

by CliffClaven Online Now Jun 4, 2003 at 4:43 AM

The islands seem to have their own stamps, too. I guess that is because they are not a département of France but a collectivité territoriale.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Saint Pierre and Miquelon Travel Answer Locations