Saint Petersburg Travel Answers

change location

August - good time to travel here?

by imgettingmarried Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I am finding conflicting information - are the cultural sites of the city, Hermitage, etc closed in August?

thx

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: August - good time to travel here?

by balhannah Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Who told you it would be closed? It is closed on Monday as are a lot of museums in St. Petersburg. It is usually open all year round, but if you want to be sure, why not go to their official website and email feedback and they will give you the answer, or ring the number they have given. I didn't see anything on their site that it would be closed, but I can't tell you what is going on.
    http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Poling's Profile Photo

by Poling Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM

August is the wonderful time to visit Saint Petersburg. Cultural sites closed as usual time but not the whole month.

• Re: August - good time to travel here?

by imgettingmarried Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

whew! thanks for clarifying! So looking forward to being there...

• Re: August - good time to travel here?

by mikleshown Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I think august is very good time to visit and museums are opned all year . so i dont think you would face any problem .

• Am_Expat's Profile Photo

by Am_Expat Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Every museum except Catherine Palace, Peter and Paul Fortress and Yusupov Palace are closed one day a week and usually one more day at the end of the month called a "Sanitation Day". The Hermitage and museums administrated by the Hermitage, Artillery Museum, Menshikov Palace, the Grand Palace at Peterhof and Museum of Ethnography are closed Mondays,
    Tuesday closures are: Mikhailovsky (Engineers) Castle, Russian Museum, Summer Garden, Alexander Palace at Pushkin, Central Naval Museum.
    Wednesdays closures are: St Isaac Cathedral Blockade Museum, Church on Spilled Blood, and Peter and Paul Cathedral.
    There are many museums and palaces besides these but these are the most promoted by guide books

1 member found this helpful

• Am_Expat's Profile Photo

by Am_Expat Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM

August is usually dry and moderately warm so the weather will be fine. The peak crowds of June and July are diminished because locals normally leave on their annual 30+day vacations during August. The only real downside of August is for cultural buffs, the most esteemed ballet troupes are out of the country while the Mariinsky Theater is dark for the month. There is ballet during August but not up to the standards of the Mariinsky productions.

1 member found this helpful

• Odiseya's Profile Photo

by Odiseya Online Now May 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I visit Russia during August and you can see on my travel pages that I was visit main touristic attraction in Saint Petersburg and Moscow. I wish you a pleasant and interesting travel experience!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines