Saint Petersburg Travel Answers

change location
tathraman's Profile Photo

Two days in June- what to see?

by tathraman Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM

We've visited St Petersburg before, marvelled at the Hermitage, the Peterhof and the usual sights. This time we'd like to do something different, rather less historical and that's not shopping-oriented. I'd most certainly appreciated any suggestions offered as to a doable itinerary.
TIA

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: Two days in June- what to see?

by balhannah Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Did you do the canal cruise through St. Petersburg. We really enjoyed this, as many of the Palaces are located along these canals.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tathraman's Profile Photo

by tathraman Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM

That's on the agenda....

• eMGeographer's Profile Photo

by eMGeographer Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

If you are interested in art I refcommend Erarta - Gallery of Contemporary Art. I liked it very much:)
    http://www.erarta.com/eng/about/
    st-petersburg-tours.ru/erart...

Maybe you can put together visituing gallery on Vasilyevsky Island with a canal cruise? :)

1 member found this helpful

• manuna's Profile Photo

by manuna Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Of course when you speak about StPets in June it i expected that you'll walk a lot and enjoy white nights etc. So Petropavlovskaya Fotress, renovated Letniy Sad (Summer garden) etc.
    May be Grandmaket of Russia will be interesting http://www.grandmaket.ru/

2 members found this helpful

• bugulma's Profile Photo

by bugulma Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 4:00 AM

it is quite hard to offer non-historical place in Saint Petersburg :-)

agree with upper post that the little maket of Russia - Granmaket - is nice experience.

if you're interested in technik you may visit railway museum (behind former Varshavsky railway station) or icebreaker and submarine on Leutenant Schmidt embankment.

another idea - the Zoo? :-)

and historical point - why not Tsarskoe Selo (Pushkin town) - yes, it has famous Ekaterininsky Palace with Amber room (as well as Aleksandrovsky Palace) but it has 2 great parks! http://eng.tzar.ru/museums/palaces

• Am_Expat's Profile Photo

by Am_Expat Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM

It appears this forum is getting hit with spam like the post above..... too bad, it can ruin an on-line community very quickly.

It is almost impossible to suggest the best things for you because we do not know your interests, hobbies, touring style preferences etc.
    If you want to skip some of the very interesting history, and focus on contemporary Russian and St Petersburg culture there are very many options. There are 254 museums based on my own count( the city lists 120 but miss many of them) which might be on topics that you have a special interest in. Meeting locals and experiencing daily life is the best way to get a good overview of the current culture of the city.
    During the summer, there are many festivals and special events that would be a nice alternative to the dry history lectures most guides are trained to give. The training for guides still uses the same course materials that were developed by the museums and Intourist 40 years ago that focused on history from 1703 to about 1880, which was long on details and short on insights.
    So what are your interests? Are you interested in the art, music, film festivals, sports, hobbies, shopping or bargain hunting in antique shops or artist co-ops? There is a never ending list of options in the city, and most of them are never heard of by tourists.

• Artenika's Profile Photo

by Artenika Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Then I visit any town, I like to see not only main things, but a real city and people. I live in SPb and I like just walk by Malyi prospect Petrogradskoy Storony Малый проспект Петроградской стороны, Bolshoy Prospect of Vasilevsky island, Strelka VO...

• Odiseya's Profile Photo

by Odiseya Online Now Apr 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I recommend to spend some time in some of large parks and squares like Art square. It derives its name from fact that is center around it is many museums, theaters and concert halls that surround it. There are some activities that involve people to enjoy and take active part in art. In the central figure of square - monument dedicated to A. Pushkin, students, local and tourist get together and read and listen poem on Russian language.
    I enjoy in that spontaneous performance, even I cannot to understand Russian language so got, I feel that I am part of this cultural event.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Saint Petersburg