Saint Paul Travel Answers

change location
floydly's Profile Photo

Hilton Mall/America/MSP Airport

by floydly Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I will be arriving Sunday Sept 30. I have a room at the Hilton since I'm attending a conference at that location. I'm trying to decide if the Executive Level upgrade is worth the extra 20.00 plus tax a night. I am not a breakfast person. It looks like that is the main draw, other than the executive lounge which I'm not sure would be worth my money when I can go to the lounge in the lobby. Any suggestions or comments?? Are the cocktails the same at both locations? I'm also arriving shortly after noon/checking in and going to make a few innings of the Twins/Tigers game. (already have ticket) I'm assuming the metro is the best route? I realize I'll be a few innings late..

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Hilton Mall/America/MSP Airport

by goodfish Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Hi - I live in a suburb of Minneapolis so I've never needed to stay at the Mall of America/Airport Hilton but yes, the Hiawatha Light Rail line is the way to go for stadium in downtown MN.

You can see map and schedules here:

metrotransit.org/light-rail....

Mall of America is the last stop on the southern end but I see the the Hilton offers complimentary shuttles to the mall and Light Rail Transit station so you're good there!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by goodfish Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Oh, just to mention? The Hilton is in Bloomington, and the stadium is in Minneapolis so neither are in St Paul. Just didn't want you to be confused. :)

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I have never stayed at that Hilton but I do have a lot of experience with Hilton hotels in general and I would not fork out20 to be on the executive level. If you are a Gold or Diamond elite you get access for free. The breakfasts served are usually strictly "Continental" and not very good, and in the evenings there may be some snacks- chips & salsa, small appetizers, and soft drinks. Alcohol, if offered, is not free. So there's really no big advantage, IMO.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I paid the extra10 at a Hilton recently for the executive floor. My wife and I got free breakfast every morning (pretty good, too) and a happy hour in the evenings (but no free alcohol). I've gotten put up on these floors in the past for my Hilton Honors status, and they did have free alcohol (bad wine and cheap beer). Maybe just depends on the hotel. But, in the case of the10 extra per night, I think it was worth it. You also had access to computers with internet access, since they charged for that at that particular property.20 is a little steep though, I think. If you don't plan on eating the breakfast, then don't do it.

• floydly's Profile Photo

by floydly Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for the info! That was what I had planned but just wanted to dbl check!

by floydly Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info! That was what I had planned but just wanted to dbl check!

by floydly Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Thanks for the reply and info! I do a lot of traveling and have found that the Manager's reception at Embassy Suites is great but I know the Hilton's are all very different! Some worth it and some not...Since I'm not a breakfast person.. think I'll stick with the lounge downstairs.. 20.00 a night would buy a coctail or two there! LOL

by floydly Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Thanks for the response! Think I'll stick with my original! Hilton's really do vary in that area... I'll take my chances at the downstairs lounge!

by goodfish Online Now Sep 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I'm going to a Twins/Yankees game next week. I love our new stadium: great sight lines. Too bad there's no Light Rail service from where I live!

by floydly Online Now Sep 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Target Field. It's one I've not been to yet! My husband's son plays for Pittsburgh (was with Yankees last year) The Yankees new stadium is really nice but I must say the Pirates have one of the best views! Was at Wrigley last weekend.. Can't beat that!

by goodfish Online Now Sep 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

You'll have a great time! We haven't had any rain FOREVER so chances are good that you'll have a dry day. It's been chilly here though (36 degrees last night) so do bring warm layer in case you need it, OK?

by floydly Online Now Sep 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I plan on dressing warm! This "southern girl" doesn't do "cold baseball" very well! It's 92 here today...I'll freeze at 70! LOL Thanks!

by goodfish Online Now Sep 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM

We're supposed to have a nice weekend (73 on Sat) so you'll be fine unless it's really breezy and you're in the shade. I think we may be flirting with mid-70's Sunday but too early to tell yet.

by goodfish Online Now Sep 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Good heavens - you just dodged a bullet! I just read that they're closing down a section of light rail that runs to Target Field from Friday night until (expected) 3:30 AM Sunday for maintenance. They promise to have it open again for the game. Whew!

by floydly Online Now Sep 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Oh My!!! Thank Goodness!!!!

by goodfish Online Now Sep 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Haha, welcome to Minnesota! We have two seasons: winter, and road construction/maintenance!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines