Saint Michaels Travel Answers

change location
challenger's Profile Photo

Getting to St Michael's from DC

by challenger Online Now Jul 29, 2006 at 9:06 AM

Hi everybody,

I'll be in Washington DC next month and plan on making a day trip to St Michael's. I am having trouble figuring out how to get there. I do *not* intend to hire a car, and am wondering what the best way to get there is otherwise.

Thanks
Holger

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ellielou's Profile Photo

RE: Getting to St Michael's from DC

by ellielou Online Now Jul 29, 2006 at 4:21 PM

I really don't know of any public transport that goes from DC to St. Michael's. You MAY be able to find a tour company based out of the District that goes there. While you don't want a rental car, I'd highly suggest you get one. It's a lovely area, and if you go a bit further, you'll hit Tilghman Island (a place I prefer over St. Michael's since it's much less touristy....).

In general, that part of Maryland is beautiful, and you may want to explore a bit. I don't know if I've been helpful at all, but if I hear of anything, I'll let you know!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • challenger's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Getting to St Michael's from DC

by challenger Online Now Jul 30, 2006 at 3:22 AM

Thanks. That is very helpful.... even if it is not what I wanted to hear. LOL

I don't mind hiring cars in the countryside and agree that that part of Maryland would be tempting to explore, but somehow the idea of travelling a big unknown metropolitan area like DC doesn't exactly rock my boat.

RondaRuth wrote a transportation tip about St Michael's and recommended Dockside Express and advised that "They provide transportation by land or water, around, to and from the town of Saint Michaels Maryland and the metropolitan areas of Washington DC, Baltimore MD and Philadelphia PA." When I visit their web site, however, I only see info about cruises around the Saint Michael's coastline, no info about the DC transportation part.

Holger

• ellielou's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Getting to St Michael's from DC

by ellielou Online Now Jul 30, 2006 at 5:33 AM

Funny, I worked in DC for 8 years, and only really know my way around the city via the metro! It'll only be difficult getting out of the city, then it'll be highways, etc. and then easy country roads.

Really, with a car you can stop at little roadside stands, etc...and places that just strike you. You could even stop in Annapolis on the way...which is the state's gorgeous Capital.

Of course, let me know if you need any more info. BTW, on Tilghman Island, I recommend stopping at a place called Harrison's Inn, for a drink or food on the water....it's great!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines