Saint-Malo Travel Answers

change location

St.Malo to Bordeaux

by Keenasever Online Now Dec 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM

With a group of 4 adults what would be the best travelling option to go from St. Malo to Bordeaux please?
Merci

Quote & Answer
22 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: St.Malo to Bordeaux

by leics Online Now Dec 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Assuming you do not want to hire a car (if you do, remember to factor in the premium for one-way hire if you do not intend to return to St Malo) then you could use the train.

It's not a cheap journey:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

If you are travelling at the right time you might explore fares from Rennes with

http://www.chalair.eu/

but I doubt flying will be cheaper than the train.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 5:46 AM

hahaha yeah I would rent a car too, best way to travel.... however, as the poster did not specify I would venture to say it is public transport they are doing.

You can take the site given before voyages-sncf is the official transport site in France. train would be it

if indeed go by car try the international car brokers for best rates
    www.autoeurope.com
    www.kemwel.com

hope it helps

• Re: St.Malo to Bordeaux

by Keenasever Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Merci beaucoup to both.Hmmm must find out how long the car trip or the train journey will be and how many station stops/changes required.
    Must also work out costs involved as I note that there is a TGV from St. Malo to Paris and then to Bordeaux.
    It is not essential to go to Bordeaux.Wonder what would be a good stop or base to go to as we are intending to head for Aix en Provence, Lyon and Paris of course.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 6:21 AM

you get to Rennes and then Bordeaux by train for sure. car
    see
    www.viamichelin.com
    by car down from Rennes connect to Nantes and on down to Bordeaux the above should tell you ,and its easy.

cost compare the tolls about 22€ then gas about 55€ one way and how many are you for the train tickets, if 4 or more the car will come out cheaper.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

From here in St Malo to Bordeaux I take around around 5 hours with one pit stop for coffee and a leak on the way. No tolls to pay before Montaigu (30 kms after Nantes), this is Brittany, we don't have toll roads here. There is one train at 6 °'clock in the morning from St Malo that goes via Rennes and Nantes to Bordeaux, but still takes 7 hours with the changes.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Online Now Dec 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

You may wish to delete Bordeaux from the plan.
    Where do you arrive in France? Is it St Malo? if so, that could be base "one" with Paris base "two". happy planning.

by Keenasever Online Now Dec 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Thank you one and all for your wonderful responses.Wow! It's a great help in our planning.We are landing in Paris and leaving immediately by train for our first stop in Bayeur for 3 nights and then to St.Mont for 2 or 3 nights.If we all opt for car rental maybe we should get a car at Bayeux I suppose.La Rochelle looks like a place worth stopping for 2 nights after St.Mont and perhaps we should give Bordeaux a miss and head for Toulouse where we drop off the car. I suppose from Toulouse it would be easier and closer to train to Aix as parking can pose a problem at times in busy places.Apart from Toulouse what other destination would be easy to drop off the car and get a train to Aix?
    Is this a good plan? Any other suggestions most appreciated.
    Merci beaucoup

by pfsmalo Online Now Dec 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM

The thing is if you go to Toulouse after La Rochelle, unless you take the little roads across country you'll go through Bordeaux. Between Toulouse and Aix there's a number of cities where you could catch the train. Carcassonne is worth a stop, better than Narbonne. Also Montpellier or Nimes are both nice towns. Close to Nimes you have also Avignon and Orange. I wouldn't take the car into Marseilles although the town is worth a visit. Plenty of choices and I haven't even scratched the surface.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Dec 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Yes you can get the rental car at any city, if leaving the Bayeux/MSM St Malo area heading down you will have more availability at Bayeux generally speaking. La Rochelle is very nice indeed going down along the coast is great by car. You will be closer to Bordeaux than Toulouse there, its a choice. I like both cities. If you are going to drop the car in Toulouse then that answers your question.

Toulouse is ok for the train to Aix-en-Provence . Best is here for the connections. Montpellier is ok, so is Nimes. However, I say stay at Toulouse wonderful town, and great transportation hub in the area.

hope it helps

by Keenasever Online Now Dec 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Thanks to all we have decided on getting a car at Bayeux and head for Aix en Provence, great!! .Still in the early stage of planning our itinerary and discovering that with a car the places worthwhile going to are limitless!!!
    With only 9 nights after Bayuer to spare before arriving in Aix for another 3 nights stay would this plan be feasible?Bayuer Highlight -Tapestry,Mont St. Michel and D-Day Battle Tours.
    Drive from Bayuer to Dinard and stay for 2 nights ( Might be easier than driving into St.Malo which is said to be touristy and crowded ? )
    Highlight - Walled city at St.Malo and scenery. = 2nights
    Drive from Dinard to La Rochelle and stay for 2 nights. = 2 nights
    Highlight - scenic beaches and SEAFOOD galore.
    Drive from La Rochelle to St. Emilion = 3 nights
    Highlight - Chateau, winery and food.
    Day trip by train to Bordeaux
    Drive from St. Emilion to Arachon = 1 night
    Highlight - Oyster Feast and Achitectural Heritage
    Drive from Arachon to ???? to drop off car .Need help here.
    Can anyone suggest a town which is easy to drive to, not a large city and easy to drop off the car and get the train to Aix the next day?
    All help much appreciated.
    Merci beaucoup

by pfsmalo Online Now Dec 8, 2012 at 3:07 AM

You haven't said exactly when you are travelling. This would affect staying in St Malo or Dinard. I don't really see the point of staying in Dinard if you will be driving back to St Malo for the sights anyway. From Dinard to St Malo and back you also have to cross the "Barrage de la Rance" the hydroelectric dam situated at the mouth of the river. At times the bridge opens every hour to let boats through the lock, and during June to end of August can cause untold hold-ups.
    Staying in St Emilion for 3 days !!!! It has a name and quite nice but I certainly wouldn't spend 3 days there, much prefer taking the road down to Carcassonne and spending time there.
    See above posts for towns for dropping the car.

by Keenasever Online Now Dec 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Thanks for that wonderful input as we were not aware of the bridge which could cause delays.We are going in September so hopefully we will not encounter too many problems and yes it makes more sense to stay in St.Malo instead.
    We just wanted to avoid driving in crowded places if possible as we have heard that car accidents are common and coming from Australia we drive on the other side of the road.
    We will look into Carcassonne and see the possibilities of dropping off the car there and take the train to Aix.I believe it will be easier than driving into Avignon isn't it?

by pfsmalo Online Now Dec 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Generally the kids are back at school by the end of the 1st week of September, so there will be a lot less traffic except around 16.30 when all the Mums (and some Dads) have to use the car to pick the kids up from school instead of their feet.In St Malo there is not THAT much traffic and if you take the car in Bayeux you'll have a handle on driving by the time you get here. The tourisme in Carcassonne is mainly centered on the walled city which is roughly 2 kms from the station, so it shouldn't be too difficult to drop the car there.
    Avignon TGV station is a little way from the centre too but of course it's a lot further to drive.

by Keenasever Online Now Dec 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I must thank you again for your prompt response. Carcossonne sounds like a good stop for us. Will do a google search for details about the place and the train timetable,hopefully a regional train that will not take too many stops on the way to Aix.
    merci beaucoup

by pfsmalo Online Now Dec 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Best of luck

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Dec 9, 2012 at 4:19 AM

well good reponses by pfsmalo as usual. I agree dro^pping off the car by the train stations either carcassonne or Avignon is best away from the city and easy connection to them by bus or taxi if you like to walk on them.

I still think that seeing all those cities in 9 days of car driving is a lot and def 3 days in St Emilion is a waste. I still think you should consider the ones you really want to see in depth and leave time for driving.
    this site can tell you driving times and cost on each segment
    www.viamichelin.com

hope it helps your planning

by Keenasever Online Now Dec 9, 2012 at 6:00 AM

The responses from pfsmalo have been wonderful and your advice is wise too.Regrettably we will have to give Arcachon a miss.Wonder if the revised ITN is better i.e St Malo - 2 nights > La Rochelle - 3 nights> St. Emilion -2nights > and either Bordeaux or Toulouse - for dropping off car and catching the train to Aix after 2 nights stay?
    Merci pour votre d'aide.
    (Thanks for your help) I hope I got this correct.

by pfsmalo Online Now Dec 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM

No problem

"Merci pour votre aide" or "Merci de votre aide"- no need for the d'. Actually it should come out "votr'aide" without hesitating. But a good try 7/10 ^_^

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Dec 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM

hahaha 7/10 very lenient for French standards here pfsmalo ::)

if your itinerary is as you posted then Bordeaux will be a lot easier to drop off your car at the St Jean train station.

hope it helps

by Keenasever Online Now Dec 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Merci beaucoup - pfsmalo is being very encouraging for the score!
    Yes I think we are going to make some changes :
    Drive from St. Malo to La Rochelle . As the distance is 320.9km N137 and A83 . This will probably take about 4 hrs.or more.
    Would someone familiar with this journey be able to recommend a midpoint stopover for the night?
    Am hoping to get to a place away from a city or city centre as the main purpose is to take a break - enjoy a meal or so and rest for the next day's trip to La Rochelle.
    After 2 nights stay at La Rochelle we will return the car at Bordeaux and during our 2 days stay join a day winery tour to St.Emilion before catching
    the TGV to Aix after 2 nights.
    Help is very much appreciated.
    Salut

by pfsmalo Online Now Dec 12, 2012 at 2:08 AM

From St Malo to after Nantes is a four-lane road (110 kph) then becomes a motorway (130 kph) so should take only around 3 hours to La Rochelle. I can't tell you where to stop close to the road, as I don't. If I leave my place around 8 in the morning, I'm in Bordeaux for lunch and in Spain or the Pyrenées at night. Whenever I have left the main road going down I get close to or on the coast. If you don't want to get too far from the main road, Nantes is a nice enough town.

by Keenasever Online Now Dec 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM

The information you have given is 'superbe' and we will drive on to La Rochelle .
    What a relief as we want to spend more time in other places.

Merci beaucoup

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Saint-Malo