Saint-Malo Travel Answers

change location

Shopping

by jessindy Online Now Feb 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Hiya, Im planning to go to saint malo during my school holidays but Im not sure if town is open on Sundays? or any hypermarkets?

thankyou... Jess!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Shopping

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

There is an Intermarché at Boulevard Théodore Botrel near the tourist area. It's a large supermarket and is open Sunday morning but not Sunday afternoon. There is a smaller 8 A Huit at 4 Avenue Moka. It's obviously open from 8 AM to 8 PM but I don't know if it's open on Sundays. Perhaps someone who lives in the area can tell you that. There are loads of hypermarches in St. Malo because it's a large city but most close on Sunday and certainly on Sunday afternoon. We always try to shop Saturday night but it's still possible on Sunday morning if you don't mind getting up.

You can get a list of supermarkets and grocery stores if you Google St. Malo for them. You will certainly find restaurants open and even many shops in tourist areas. Tourist attractions will be open if these interest you . . . and you can walk the ramparts which, to me, is the most fun thing to do in St. Malo.

Enjoy your holidays.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Feb 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM

It's very unusual to find hypermarkets etc open in France on a Sunday. I can't speak for St Malo specifically, but except in major tourist areas if any shops do open on Sundays they usually close at lpm.

I found this very useful page which has links to all the supermarket chains, so you check for specifics

gitesandmore.co.uk/shopping....

Otherwise everyone is in a bar watching horse racing and football, or so it seems to me. (Remember that in France the betting shop is in the pub, a facility which I find highly useful!)

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 9, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Hi,

Which school holidays are you talking about ? In St Malo walled town you'll find some of the souvenir shops open and of course the restaurants, but not much else. For the hypermarkets it will depend as legally this type of shop can only legally open acertain number of Sundays in a year, and they generally keep those for just before Christmas or sometimes during the summer hols. Did you have anything specific in mind that you wanted, or just browsing. You have to know also that the main h/markets Carrefour and Leclerc are roughly 4 to 5 kms from the ferry terminal. Another big one, Cora is even further. If it is for food the Intermarché mentioned by Sally above will suffice but does not have electronic goods, only kids games and a few clothes but is not renowned for quality of clothes. Please ask if you have anything specific on St. Malo

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 8:04 AM

pfsmalo is from the area so should answer you about specifics there. Sundays are tricky here, even more pressure not to open on Sundays continues...You need to know some smallest outfit might open Sunday morning and thats it, usually around 13h. The big ones are on a special permission basis and they post signs to tell if open locally.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Saint-Malo