Saint-Malo Travel Answers

change location
msklausler's Profile Photo

Do I need a car in St Malo?

by msklausler Online Now Apr 27, 2010 at 7:49 PM

My husband and I are going to St Malo for 4 days. He has a conference and I will be shopping and enjoying the city during the day. But, do I need a car to do these things? I would prefer to not have one, but if I need one to enjoy the city I will get one. Any advice? Also, we are staying at Oceania and they may or may not have parking.

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • alza's Profile Photo

Re: Do I need a car in St Malo?

by alza Online Now Apr 27, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Hi Mel,
    I went to St-Malo twice & focussed on the Old City (signs say: Intra Muros), don't know about Paramé on the other side.

We were passing through each time, spent the day, not the night. I had my car and remember I parked it for as many hours as we needed, didn't drive it at all in the Old City.

Hotel Oceania is within easy walking distance to the Old City, very close. The hotel ad says you are close to shops and interesting things to see and that there are buses very close to it.
    I also read on reviews by various sites like booking.com, destinia.com etc that there is a "garage" or parking. One reviewer said the parking was too expensive but that's another matter...

You don't need a car for St-Malo Intra-Muros. You'll probably spend most of your time there, it's charming, and a car would be a bother.
    For Paramé side of town, local buses will be fine.
    For day trips outside town (such as to Mont St-Michel and other places), there is also public transport. Enquire at your hotel or if convenient, go to the tourist office at esplanade St-Vincent, just outside the old city. You'll pass it coming from your hotel going into the Old City.

Enjoy St-Malo! :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • msklausler's Profile Photo

by msklausler Online Now Apr 28, 2010 at 5:25 AM

Excellent! Thank you! :)

• caoimhe321's Profile Photo

by caoimhe321 Online Now May 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM

you can easily get around st malo without a car.
    Hope you enjoy your holday

• CoxUGA's Profile Photo

by CoxUGA Online Now May 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM

My wife and i just returned on May 10 from St Malo. Like the others have already said, you do not need a car. Nor do you need one to visit Dinard, a worthwhile, short boat ride across the harbor. While we liked St Malo and would go many more times, one day of sightseeing, max two, satisfied our curiousity. There are more places to see that are equally delightful and for which you need a car. Assuming you have not already visited them, there is, amongst others, the drive on the local road to Cancale. It is magnificent, if you like seascapes. There is Mount St. Michel is an easy day trip. It rivals the Taj Mahel in its beauty and, unfortunately, in the gamut of tourist traps one must run to finally get to the abbey itself. Dinan is a medieval town with impressive, memorable architecture. Another day trip that is arduous, but indelibly unforgetable, is to the D-Day beaches in Normandy.

Tucker Cox

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Saint-Malo