Saint Louis Travel Answers

change location
sabogg01's Profile Photo

Going to St. Louis this weekend, Last minute travel questions--Please Help! :)

by sabogg01 Online Now Jun 20, 2007 at 6:04 PM

We will be driving to st. louis, Our hotel is at the riverfront near the arch. We have our car so we can drive to forest park, but was curious if it would be better to leave our car at the hotel and take public transportation to forest park, We are looking to spend an entire day there and late into the evening at the Muny. Also does anyone know of a place near forest park that we can park our car all day if we do drive, I know that many of the museums offer free parking. Are all of the museums and the zoo within walking distance of each other?
Thanks in advance if someone can help me

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Going to St. Louis this weekend, Last minute travel questions--Please Help! :)

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 20, 2007 at 6:46 PM

My gut feel is that you will want to drive to Forest Park. Forest Park itself is almost 1,300 acres, so it is spread over quite an area (almost two miles by one mile). You might look at the map at stlouis.missouri.org/citygov... to get a feel for the size.

I wouldn't be surprised if most people just drive from one parking lot to another - we did. Part of the problem is you sometimes can't go straight from A to B. For example, it's about 3/4 miles to go from the zoo parking lot to the Muni parking lot - the map that I just gave you the URL for is a bit misleading with its "1" = 200' since the map is supposed to print larger. Compare this map with the map at maps.yahoo.com and you'll see what I mean.

Having said that, the upper Muni parking is pretty close to the center of the park, so if you parked there, walked around the park (like to the zoo), then ended your evening at the Muni with your car already in the parking lot, that might work out great...if they let you park there early ;-)

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Going to St. Louis this weekend, use your car!

by lv2qwlt Online Now Feb 3, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Definitely DRIVE. You will absolutely need a car, and will be happy to have it. As the other poster said, most of the places you will want to visit are not close to each other. Public transportation here is limited (2 metro lines) and not convenient. I would say that you should be able to park free at most attractions. Parking will probably be convenient and accessible. The art museum and zoo are close enough to park and walk to both on the same day (park on the zoo west side near the Art Museum and Living World entrance of the zoo). You should be able to find free parking there. But, since most attractions in St. Louis are free anyway, even if you have to pay to park, it will not cost you too much. Zoo parking is10 for the day if you can't find a free spot elsewhere.

You do know the Muny is only open during the summer, don't you? You won't be doing much in Forest Park in the evening.

• sabogg01's Profile Photo

Re: Going to St. Louis this weekend, Last minute travel questions--Please Help! :)

by sabogg01 Online Now Feb 6, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Thanks i went here 7 months ago though :) Thanks anyway

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines