Saint John Travel Answers

change location

Should we stay in Saint John or Saint Thomas?

by scotthuc Online Now Jan 22, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning to visit the US Virgin Islands this Spring Break, from Mar. 12 to Mar. 18, 2009. We cannot decide how long we should stay in Saint Thomas and Saint John. Should we stay few nights in Saint Croix as well? Which island is the most expensive? How can we save money? Please give us some ideas. We really appreciate your advice.

So many thanks from Houston.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • vanderlust's Profile Photo

Re: Should we stay in Saint John or Saint Thomas?

by vanderlust Online Now Jan 26, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I would say it depends on what you would like to do. If you like shopping and night life then StT is your island.

If you like peace and quiet then StJ is your island.

StJ is more expensive. There are ways to minimize the cost difference.

I have not been to StX so I cannot comment on St Croix. It is a long ferry ride or a short plane flight from StT to get there. My advice is to stay with StT or StJ and enjoy what these two islands have to offer.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by vanderlust Online Now Jan 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I forgot to mention, St John is definately my pick of the USVI.

• Re: Should we stay in Saint John or Saint Thomas?

by scotthuc Online Now Jan 29, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Thanks a lot.

• Re: Should we stay in Saint John or Saint Thomas?

by scotthuc Online Now Jan 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Thank you very much.

• claygolightly's Profile Photo

by claygolightly Online Now May 15, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Hey! I read your post form back in Jan. I also live in Houston and have eben traveling a lot lately. I my fiance and I are going to STT and STJ this summer for 9 days and I wanted to see how your trip went and what you thought the highlights were. I am trying to get into med school so my budget has been tight so any money tips would be great. We are more the adventurous type than the party tourist type. So how did it go for you?!

by vanderlust Online Now May 15, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Clay, it appears that Scott has not returned to VT since his Virgin Island trip. If you would like some budget tips for St. John I might be able to help out. We have visited a few times and know a few money saving ideas. Let me know if your interested. You can also stop by my StJ pages and get an idea of what you will find on island.

• claygolightly's Profile Photo

by claygolightly Online Now May 16, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Hey Vanderlust! Thx for the response. I would love to hear any tips you might have as far as where to stay and how to save money. We are going to be mostly on St John and are not sure which side of the island to look for a place on. We definitely wanna stay near or on the water. We are on a fixed budget because I'm trying to get into med school so I appreciate any knowledge of good safe affordable places! I do wanna take a sdie trip to a place called Jost Van Dyke! I heard about it online and its supposed to be really cool.

by vanderlust Online Now May 20, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Here is a start on my budget tips for St. John. Visit my St. John pages for other tips.

I have not stayed in any of the following so I cannot give firsthand reviews. I do have freinds who have stayed at Cinnamon Bay and Maho Camp and they have loved it. St. John Inn is in Cruz Bay and not waterfront. Hummingbird villas is in Frank Bay. Vie's, Maho, Concordia and Cinnamon are all waterfront. The only drawback about waterfront can be the mosquitos and no-seeums at night and during the summer months it can be hot and humid at water level. As you rise above sea level the cool breeze increases.

Vie's Beach Camping and Vie's Snack Shack, call 340-693-5033 for camping reservations - only35.00 per night to stay on a secluded beach property.

http://www.cinnamonbay.com/30/night baresite,64/night with tent,77/night cottage

http://www.maho.org/80/night Maho camp tent,105/night Concordia eco-tent

http://www.stjohninn.com/105/night

botanicalvillas.com/services... baresite,57.50/night cottage

acharminghideaway.com/hummin... apartment

by vanderlust Online Now May 20, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Budget transportation on St. Thomas & St. John;

tourism.virginislandsdailyne...

Taxi and public bus rates are listed at the above website. Vitran buses are not the most reliable mode of transport. They have taken term island time to new levels ;).
    Hitchhiking is common on St. John and is safe for both the hitcher and driver.
    Hiking trails are a common route for those not renting a vehicle. The National Park Service keeps the major hiking trails in good shape.

Rental cars and jeeps are available for a reasonable price of about300 to400 per week during off season.

by vanderlust Online Now May 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Budget Dining on St. John;

Food and provisions can be a big expense on St. John especially if dining out. There are a few grocery stores on St. John, Starfish Market is my favorite because of selection. There is also Dolphin Market and Pine Peace Market. All three of these are in Cruz Bay. There is a market in Coral Bay but the name eludes me right now. The campgrounds at Cinnamon and Maho have markets. I am not sure of pricing at these locations. Cinnamon has a resturant and I believe that Maho has a dining hall. Some visitors bring some of the more expensive items with them on the flight down. The cost of checking luggage has put a damper on that practice though. There is a Costco and a full service K-Mart on St. Thomas. Some visitors will stock up with provisions on St. Thomas because the prices are lower. I like to visit Starfish for my needs because of convenience and to help the local economy. You will find "reasonable" dining at places like Joes BBQ, Woody's Seafood Saloon, Deli Grotto and JJ's Texas Toast in Cruz Bay. "Reasonable" is re-defined on StJ. Example; Woody's burger and fries is about7 if I remember correctly.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines