Saint John Travel Answers

change location

Staying in Cottage at Cinnamon Bay Campground--Any advice?

by Lucinda123 Online Now Nov 9, 2006 at 4:43 PM

We are staying in a cottage at Cinnamon Bay Campground on St. John, Virgin Island for one week. Any advice or suggestions to make our stay more enjoyable/comfortable? I know about the sunscreen and bug spray. Details, no matter how small, are welcome! Thanks.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • RE: Staying in Cottage at Cinnamon Bay Campground--Any advice?

by Lucinda123 Online Now Nov 9, 2006 at 4:44 PM

I should add that we will be there the 2nd week of December. :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Staying in Cottage at Cinnamon Bay Campground--Any advice?

by G8danegirl Online Now Nov 18, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Hi there, I mean not to scare you with my post, by I feel it important to share with anyone traveling to the islands. My husband and I were on our honeymoon in May, and we were staying at a private villa. Our second day into the honeymoon, we came back to the villa to be robbed at gunpoint, tied up, and blind-folded. By the grace of God, the people did not kill or seriously harm either of us. But, it was the most terrifying moment of our lives. I have done some research and have found that this type of crime has been occurring more frequently, and as the case with ours, being brushed under the carpet. So please, I hope you have a wonderful time, just be EVER vigilant and careful. I wish you a safe trip.

• vanderlust's Profile Photo

RE: Staying in Cottage at Cinnamon Bay Campground--Any advice?

by vanderlust Online Now Dec 1, 2006 at 6:37 AM

Lucky you!
    You will find so much to do while on St. John. As far as crime and security, I have never had a problem on St. J. St. Thomas is a different story. Find the local newspaper online and read to see what kind of crime problems make it to print. Try this website and check out the Police Log section.
    http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/
    I love to snorkel and St.J is one of the greatest places for that. You will find Cinnamon Bay a fantastic beach to play in. Make sure your belongings are donkey proof as strange as that may sound. There is a donkey problem on the island, especially the Cinnamon Bay area. Bungee cords and containers are helpful. Wander down to Hawksnest Bay which is my favorite. Usually calm waters with coral and marine life. Farther down the road you'll find Waterlemon key. A small island very near to shore you can snorkel around. Invest in an underwater camera. Disposables work OK. Take hiking shoes. St. J has some fantastic hiking trails. Try the walk from the ridge to the old rum still on Reef Bay. Warning, the walk back up hill is, well, uphill. Visit Cruz Bay for a laid back in town atmosphere.
    Rent a car if you are so inclined, a Jeep or 4wd will get you a few places you would not see otherwise. One such place is the Lambsur bays. We had two of the most beautiful bays for swimming all to ourselves when we visited. Hitch hiking is not frowned upon on St. J. We picked up a number of people on the road. Some were merely walking and we stopped to offer a ride. Check www.bookajeep.com and talk to Levi or Kurt. They were great and we have used them to shuttle groups and give tours. If you want to shop for duty free bargains take the ferry from Cruz Bay to Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas and browse the shops. The shops close early unless a cruise ship is in port. Cost is about10 each way for the ferry.
    OK, after rambling here is my short list:
    -sunscreen
    -insect repellent
    -hat
    -hiking shoes
    -underwater camera
    -bungee cords
    -rent a jeep
    -a good book or two
    -snorkel and mask
    -ice chest that is luggage friendly
    -Be prepared to be awestruck, you will want to return.

• Re: Staying in Cottage at Cinnamon Bay Campground--Any advice?

by PaulaAtlanta Online Now Apr 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM

We stayed there last month. I'm told summer is buggy and hot, but March was divine. Great beds, wonderful breezes, excellent new friends as neighbors, and the beach but a step away!

• Re: Staying in Cottage at Cinnamon Bay Campground--Any advice?

by Mer_m Online Now May 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Beware no seeums.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines