Saint John Travel Answers

change location

Do I need to rent a car.

by Marty674 Online Now Feb 26, 2004 at 5:33 PM

I am staying at the Westin on St. John, do I need to rent a car or can I get around by taxi or bus?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Do I need to rent a car.

by grandmaR Online Now Feb 26, 2004 at 8:25 PM

The Westin is a bit out of Cruz Bay, and the beach there is thought by some not to be one of the really nice ones on St. John. If you want to mostly stay and eat at the resort then you won't need a car. Otherwise you'll have more flexibiltiy if you rent one. They drive on the left with left hand drive cars, and the roads are quite steep, have no shoulders, and may be slippery. And car rental is expensive. So it depends on how you travel. http://www.st-thomas.com/week/taxi.html St. John Round-trip fares are double the one-way fare plus waiting charges which are 15 cents per minute after the first 10 minutes. Radio calls are one-third plus the base price. Two-hour island tours cost30 for 1 or 2 passengers; for 3 or more12 per person. Taxi shuttles carrying 3 or more passengers are often available. Buses leave from the ferry dock at Cruz Bay every hour on the half hour to drive across the island to Coral Bay. They return to Cruz Bay shortly after. Farel.00 each way. St. John Taxi Rates 1 Person 2 People 3 or More (Each) Annaberg 10.00 12.50 5.00 Caneel Bay 2.50 5.00 2.50 Chocolate Hole 4.00 7.00 3.00 Cinnamon Bay 5.50 8.00 3.50 Coral Bay 10.00 12.50 5.00 Gallows Point 2.00 4.00 2.00 Huricane Hole 14.00 20.00 8.00 Maho Bay 10.00 12.50 5.00 Reef Bay Trail 6.00 9.00 5.00 Salt Pond 14.00 20.00 8.00 Trunk Bay 5.50 8.00 3.50 Westin Resort 2.50 5.00 2.50 So for two people the Westin to Cruz Bay would be5.00 or10.00 round trip. Going from there to Trunk Bay would be another8.00 (total18.00 for Westin to Cruz Bay plus additional trip to Trunk Bay)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Do I need to rent a car.

by RallyPoint Online Now Feb 27, 2004 at 2:33 PM

I would. Rent a jeep, it wont cost you too much and it will make your vacation 400 times better. Drive to the national forests, drive to coral beach....even though the island isnt too big....waiting for the buses is a pain in the but and the taxis can get expensive Have a blast, its one of my favorite islands!

• Re: Do I need to rent a car.

by EddieCal Online Now Jul 10, 2004 at 11:09 AM

Hi Marty674, I curious how your trip went, we're planning a trip to the Westin St John as well in october.. Hope you enjoyed it? I'll have my two kids with me... how bad were the mosquitos there? also did you end up renting a jeep? did you use the westin's ferry to get back & forth to st thomas, how long was the trip?? thanks

• Bonney_Sue's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Do I need to rent a car.

by Bonney_Sue Online Now Jul 29, 2005 at 1:40 PM

Hi - for the upcoming trip with kids...we were there in May 2004 and although I don't remember bugs, we probably wore bug repellant. If you don't want to just lounge around the resort and just go to the bars in nearby Cruz Bay, you don't need a car. But I second the suggestion that renting a car is the best way to get to hikes. We liked the hike that goes from the old sugar plantation to Waterlemon Key, the best place we found for snorkeling and not a long hike. We also went to the eco-cabin campground Maho Bay and rented sea kayaks to go to a little island in their bay. Very fun. It's so true that waiting for a bus is a drag. We could also easily get to the grocery store with a car.

by Bonney_Sue Online Now Jul 29, 2005 at 1:41 PM

About taking the hotel's ferry to St. Thomas from St. John...I can think of no reason to do that. Unless you want to shop for expensive gold jewelry and designer french handbags with your 2 kids! Stay on St. John as a long as you can!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Jul 29, 2005 at 1:47 PM

I think the hotel ferry will have a taxi pick them up at the airport and take them to the dock where the ferry will go directly to the hotel and then back at the end of the trip. If it is included in the total package, then go ahead and do it. If you have to pay extra I would not bother with it unless you have a bunch of kids or a lot of luggage or if you have mobility problems.

• lojoblais's Profile Photo

Re: Do I need to rent a car.

by lojoblais Online Now Jun 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Would this be a good island for 2 women in their 40's? We like good, swim-able beaches, & do want some nightlife. My girlfriend is more a lay on the beach all day person, I am more adventurous & need other activities -- either outdoorsy ones or sightseeing/cultural ones. But we are not the camping types, at all.
    We need comfortable accommodations. And yes, def nightlife -- places to hang, & dance, music, etc.
    Is St. JOhn's too quiet? I know St. Thomas is way more built up, but we went to Cancun last yr and frankly, it's so built up & commercial that for me it was a turn off. Over the winter, I had stopped on a cruise in Belize & Roatan, Honduras, both beautiful. But I've heard some negative things about travel there, esp for women. So, I'm looking at the Caribbean.
    Any suggestions?

Re: St. John's for 2 lady travellers

by Bonney_Sue Online Now Jul 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I think yes this would be a good safe and fun travel destination for you and your friend. We found a half of a duplex to rent and rented a car in St. Thomas to take the car ferry to St. John's. If you have a car you can try different restaurants to go out to dinner and easily get to a grocery store. You can also drive to the start of any length of hike you can find. The one I describe earlier to Watermelon Key ends at a beach where we spent several hours. I loved the natural beauty and the views while just driving around exploring.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines