Saint John Travel Answers

change location
bousquetj's Profile Photo

Hiking on St. John

by bousquetj Online Now Oct 28, 2003 at 8:19 AM

We plan to spend two weeks on St. John next June. Descriptions of the National Park say the hiking and snorkeling can be combined for a great experience. Warnings say "bring insect repellant". Anyone able to comment on the bugs? How bad are they really?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Hiking on St. John

by w-two Online Now Oct 28, 2003 at 9:20 AM

The hiking and snorkeling are great; the snorkeling is my personal favorite, just remember to bring LOADS of waterproof and very strong sunscreen. I never realize how much sun I have gotten until about two days later. For insects, regular insect repellant will be fine. As long as you're on the coast or in the water, the bugs will not be bad. They will get worse on the hikes, though. Good luck and have a great time! Enjoy Christianstead, the shopping is pricey, but the city is cute. w-two

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • oldhippy's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Hiking on St. John

by oldhippy Online Now Oct 29, 2003 at 3:47 AM

You just can't go to the tropics and not find mosquitos. Buy repellent with deet in it...a 30% solution is good for the worst of it. [ deep woods type] Also bring anti itch lotion, and ditto on sun screen and a hat and shades.

• arissat's Profile Photo

Re: Hiking on St. John

by arissat Online Now Oct 29, 2003 at 10:59 AM

We were there in September and enjoyed the hiking and snorkeling experience in St. John. I have to agree with w-two, sunblock is a must!! The sun is a killer there. We used 3 full bottles of sunblock on our 10 days stay in the island. Also the repellent is a must. We used the OFF green bottle spray all day and night. The first day we were there I had tons of mosquitos bites, since I didn't have a clue that the mosquitos were out during the day!! St. John is a very lovely island and with good snorkeling. If you can, go snorkel at Waterlemon Cay, where you can see lots of starfish. I'm sure you'll enjoy the island! Arissa

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines