Saint Jacobs Travel Answers

change location

taking train and driving

by grammy65 Online Now Apr 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM

i was reading a review where a man said they took the train and got off at the market and then drove a bit.how did he drive when he took the train into saint jacobs???

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: taking train and driving

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Apr 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

He lied. The train station is in Kitchener, about 12km from the St Jacobs Market.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM

The review says it was the Waterloo Central Railway 'antique' train, which stops at the farmer's market. Presumably the member left his car at the station, took the round-trip train ride and then drove on.

Not a lie, I think. And why on earth would someone lie about such things anyway?

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Apr 13, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Aha - the tourist train to nowhere. A bit misleading then. I was thinking about the main Via Rail line that runs from Kitchener to Toronto.

The local railway restoration society has been running a steam train from the north side of Waterloo to the village of St Jacobs for a few years now. I'm pretty sure I've seen it stop at the St Jacobs Market and I think it continues right out to the Village of St Jacobs itself. The main Waterloo station is not all that far from the universities (basically across the street from the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics). It runs on Saturdays (3 trips each way) at this time of year and expands to a couple of other days of the week over the course of the summer. Total distance is probably around 10km / 6 miles one way.

As for what was written in the review, it's hard to figure out what the writer did. In theory you could probably walk parts of it. The market to the village is a 15 minute walk.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM

The tip does state 'a round trip' on the train. So I don't quite understand the OP's initial confusion, which seems to be based on the assumption that the tip-writer took the train in only one direction.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines