Saint-Émilion Travel Answers

change location

transportation

by daylene Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM

We are staying in Amboise and then need to get to our next stay at Clos de la Barbanne 2,les Grandes Pieces, 33570 Montagne. We will be taking the train from Amboise.Should we depart at Bordeaux or at Libourne and how can we best then get to our next stop over at Clos de la Barbanne. We do not intend to rent a car that we will drive. We are interested in taxi, train, (not really a bus) or private driver. Thank you

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: transportation

by gwened Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

well I go a lot by there by car, as with family vacation in the Medoc. the closest will be Libourne very near Montagne

see Train
    www.voyages-sncf.com
    for schedules and ticket prices.

from there Libourne, the best will be a shuttle or taxi. You can ask the town of Montagne best how to get there here

commune.montagne@wanadoo.fr

hope it helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

The hotel website in English

clos-de-la-barbanne.net/inde...

suggests that you get off the train at Libourne, which is 10km away (Bordeaux is 45km away). You cold then take a taxi to the hotel (or the hotel itself may provide a transfer if you ask them).

You can find train times & details in English here:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

and in French, with fares, here:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Journey time is around 3 hours, with one change at Saint Pierre des Corps. One way fare is from 31.70, depending on departure.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Here's a web site for taxi service in Libourne. You'll be leaving from the Libourne train station so you need a Libourne taxi rather than one from Montagne. It's about 11 km to your B&B and it is out in the country. If you plan to do much sightseeing, you may want to reconsider renting a car. We've driven in that area and the roads are good and driving quite easy. http://www.taxi.fr/taxi/libourne

I did notice your B&B has a couple bicycles so you could do the 3 km to St. Emilion easily on a bike. If you plan to bike around the area a lot, you may want to take a hand-held GPS. There are so many wineries that you are cycling through vineyards and after a while they all look alike and you are lost. (This is the voice of experience.) You can always stop and ask directions unless you are really out in the country and there is no one to ask. It's not usually too far between towns but the GPS would make life easier. Just program your B&B as Home and if you get lost, go Home.

If I weren't driving, I'd contact the B&B owners and see if one of them might meet me at the trin station at Libourne. That seems like a reasonable request, especially if you offer to pay for the service. That would be the easiest solution. If they can't do it, they may suggest a taxi service that guests have used before and that knows the location.

Just a couple thoughts. Enjoy a beautiful part of France.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Oct 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM

From Libourne just take a taxi. You are only about 10 km away from the train station at
    Libourne. While there may be a taxi waiting there is a good chance there will not. Libourne is kind of a Podunk town. Not much going on. I would call a local taxi service to pick you up at the train station in Libourne. I just took my bike from Libourne to St. Emilion. But it and Montagne are relativly close to Libourne. Karl

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Saint-Émilion