Saint Augustine Travel Answers

change location

Beach advice

by GeorgiaAnnie Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:43 AM

My family is planning to come to the area in July. We originally wanted to go to the panhandle but are worried about the June grass, which was terrible last time we were there. We have never been to St. Augustine, and although some us are very interested in the history and the Old City, most would prefer to rent a house at the beach. There are 4 adults and 4 teenagers. I have read that some of the beaches are shelly, not sandy. Which is the best beach area, and also any rental advice (not terribly expensive) would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Beach advice

by gwened Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM

the beach on AIA before entering the bridge of lions in st augustine beach is white sandy beach. I would recomm a house or condo too rather than a hotel for your group. There is plenty of history in the oldest city in the USA (1565). The Matanzas fortress, the cathedral and the many house as well as pueblo español is great. try to eat at the Columbia resto at the nice pedestrian ave St George.

I used to lived not far from there in ormond by the sea, so because it has been years away, suggest take a look at destinations here and see tips by posters like us here

you can always come back for more detail questions to the forum; hope it helps

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Beach advice

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:04 AM

I was just at Vilano a couple of days ago (north side of the river from St. A) and it's definitely shelly, as were all the beaches up to Jacksonville. If you stay south, in St. Augustine Beach proper, you should be fine. There are shells on all beaches, but it's not as bad there. Personally, I like Atlantic Beach better but, if you're wanting to explore St. Augustine extensively, then St. A Beach is probably the best for your group.

Nothing really compares to the white, sugar sands of the Florida Gulf Coast. You may also want to look at visiting Clearwater, which should not have the sargassum problem. You just need to watch for Red Tide.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines