Saigon Travel Answers

change location
my-linh's Profile Photo

Confusion about booking ticket

by my-linh Online Now Nov 9, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Hi,
I have never traveled to Vietnam before by myself and I was wondering, when would be a good time to purchase ticket if I were to fly on May, 2010? By the way, anyone plan on traveling around that time to Saigon, Vietnam? The more the merrier! Thanks.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cochinjew's Profile Photo

Re: Confusion about booking ticket

by cochinjew Online Now Nov 9, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Currently vietnam along with Cambodia and Laos are on the favourite list among the world's travellers, with Vietnam occupying the No 1 position. There are hundreds and thousands of visitors to Vietnam per year and wherever you stay in HCMC or HN you will run into many many visitors. if you speak vietnamese it would be a great advantage of course.
    if you are flying from USA to VN, there are direct flights with both NW and UA. and you might also want to try Korean, Asiana airlines. depending upon where you flying out of, thai/malaysian or singapore airlines would also have good fares to HoChiMinh City..
    Good Luck. Vietnam is a great place to be..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • my-linh's Profile Photo

by my-linh Online Now Nov 9, 2009 at 1:09 PM

thanks! I've been told so many different things and I got confused. Have you been there? any takes on living situation if I were to stay there for about 6 weeks? I heard hotel can be pricey but i don't want to live in a shack either. I was thinking renting an apartment, month-to-month sort of thing.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Nov 9, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Hi and welcome to VT.
    A good start would be to use the available VT sources here. Up in the right hand corner, in the window marked Destinations, type Viet Nam, or Ho Chi Min City or Hanoi, and review all the many tips and reviews and such. You should be able to get a better picture of what you like and want to experience. Come back to us and we can fill in any details you may need. I for one cannot wait for a time to go to Viet Nam. Enjoy planning.

I am sure more folks that have updated information on VN will chime in soon, and before you know it, - you will become an expert.....d:o)

• GlobeTrekr's Profile Photo

by GlobeTrekr Online Now Nov 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Vietnam is beautiful and if you're planning on six weeks I suggest you tour the entire country (six weeks is plenty of time) rather than renting a place for a month in Saigon. I spent almost a month in Vietnam coming in from China on bus to Hanoi then train to Danang and train to Saigon, exiting by bus to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. There is much to see and experience in Vietnam. Beaches in the south are great, Hoi An is charming, Halong Bay is gorgeous, and Sapa is wonderful (though I didn't make it there). Vietnamese are very warm and friendly and the food is excellent. Coming from the states its a very inexpensive destination so that helps too!

To answer your question, generally the earlier you purchase the cheaper the ticket. I usually just follow prices closely for some time and book when its cheapest. Whenever I'm searching, I notice prices see-sawing up and down over weeks time and I get an excellent idea of whats cheap and whats expensive. Its worked for me! Some say that Tuesday mornings (6am ish) tend to be the best time to book on consolidators websites (cheaptickets, expedia, travelocity, etc) but I've never woken up that early to check!

I can't wait to go back to Vietnam. Have fun!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Saigon