Sagada Travel Answers

change location
jessalo's Profile Photo

BEST ROUTE (LAOAG-VIGAN-SAGADA-BAGUIO)

by jessalo Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Hi everyone! As much as I want to utilize my vacation leave. I would love to visit these places in a very convenient route. Can you suggest me the most possible and convenient route to visit these places? I dont know which buses to take and how can i get to sagada. I am planning to avail a one week vacation leave. Thanks a lot.

Quote & Answer
41 Answers
  • eagerexplorer's Profile Photo

Re: BEST ROUTE (LAOAG-VIGAN-SAGADA-BAGUIO)

by eagerexplorer Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Quite honestly, one week is not enough for all these places, unless you're doing it at a rushed pace. Doable, but not sure if you're going to enjoy all the travel to and from places.

Fly to Laoag or take an overnight bus (Florida has sleeper buses at only a thousand pesos) and spend about 3-4 days in the Ilocos region, which includes Laoag and Vigan. Take a minibus or a bus from Laoag to Vigan. From Vigan, you can take a bus to Baguio via Partas, about 3.5-4.5 hours. From Baguio, you can ride a jeepney to Sagada. Not sure how long this takes, because I went to Sagada from Banaue. Probably anywhere between 4-8 hours? Not sure.

You should spend at least two days in Sagada. Spelunking is fun, but the adventure for me then was the ride to get to the place. Scenery was very, very beautiful.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Hope this helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • buenababe's Profile Photo

by buenababe Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM

just to add up: travel time from Baguio to Sagada in a small bus is 6 hours. I suggest you take the morning trip around 7:30 or 8.. for you to have time allowance for any delays on the road... When we went there September last year, there was a landslide so we have to wait for 2 hours for them to clear the road..

by buenababe Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM

just to add up: travel time from Baguio to Sagada in a small bus is 6 hours. I suggest you take the morning trip around 7:30 or 8.. for you to have time allowance for any delays on the road... When we went there September last year, there was a landslide so we have to wait for 2 hours for them to clear the road..

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I would get the overnight sleeper bus from Manila to Laoag, then straight to Pagudpud, 90 minutes north, spend a night there by the sea, return to Laoag, have a quick look around as there is not much to do there then hop on the bus to Vigan. Two days would be fine to see al the sights or possibly one day if you arrive early and leave lunchtime next afternoon. From Vigan head south to Tagudin and ask the bus driver to drop you off at the junction for Cervantes and the shuttl ewill take you there. Spend a night there at Villa Maria, cross the hanging bridge early morning for the 6 am jeepney to Bontoc. Get off at the Sagada junction, a few kms before Bontoc and wait for transportation to Sagada. Not sure if there is transportation from Sagada to Baguio, but for sure there is from Bontoc. Good luck!

by buenababe Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

there's a bus Sagada-Baguio... we took the 7am trip back to Baguio when we were there last year.

• jessalo's Profile Photo

by jessalo Online Now Aug 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Thank you so much guys! :D Big help!

• bongski's Profile Photo

by bongski Online Now Sep 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM

i would recommend davidjo's suggestion to go to sagada via cervantes if you dont mind skipping baguio. Its the shortest route,and from tagudin to cervantes, the road is mostly concreted and very scenic. Thick pine forest on top of Bessang pass, and cold and chilly and foggy .

Its only the cervantes to tadian stretch may be a little rough but nothing dangerous except when its wet, but the jeepneys and the drivers are used to it. Its off the beaten path and an adventure.

And that bridge to nowhere in cervantes is also another landmark. I first had a glimps of it in 1985 and up to now it was never able to bridge the Abra river passing below it. The province of abra has already tamed some of the abra rivers major crossing by building major bridges , but that bridge in cervantes seemed to have been frozen in time.

You can take baguio on the way down from sagada.

bong

1 member found this helpful

• gareth13's Profile Photo

by gareth13 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 3:41 AM

The best and easiest way is to head to Baguio, from there, get to the Dangwa Station and board the GL or Lizardo Trans to Sagada.
    owww, by the way, the last trip to sagada from baguio is 1pm

by jessalo Online Now May 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Hi guys! I will be in Sagada in the next two weeks. Is it safe this time? I will be travelling alone. I would like to take the Tagudin route as suggested by Davidjo since I will be from Vigan first. Is that route faster than Vigan-Baguio route? Can u please guide me from taking the Tagudin, Cervantes route? I will be doing this alone. I badly need your help.

by davidjo Online Now May 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

newsinfo.inquirer.net/390403...

Hi Jessa, at last you are ready to take your trip. Things have changed since my initial posting sa you can see by the link. At last the bridge has been completed at Cervantes so i am not quite sure of the jeepney times to Bontoc, because before i had to get up at 4am in the morning and cross the hanging bridge that has been there for many years (to catch the one and only jeepney to Bontoc). There were other jeepneys that headed south and then you had to change to a second one to get to Bontoc but hopefully since the bridge has been opened there may be more jeepneys taking this picturesque route. The ride from Tagudin to Cervantes via Bessang Pass is really beautiful too as the road clings to the mountainside. As i previuosly said you must tell the bus driver to drop you off at the junction a few kms before Tagudin where shuttle vans will be waiting to take you to Cervantes. They leave when they are full but you should not have to wait much more than half an hour. Try get a front seat or window seat!!! and have your camera ready. Should you decide to Stay in Villa Maria say hello to Epee and Mary for me, they know me well and they will cook a meal for you at a economical price. And don't forget when you are on the jeepney to Bontoc ask the driver to let you off at the Sagada junction. Just wait there at the bottom of the hill until a jeepney or multicab picks you up for the last 10 kms to Sagada. When you leave Sagada the jeepney will take you to Bontoc bus station where you will wait for a bus to take you to Banaue. It will usually stop at the highest point between the two places (near Mount Police) . If you are lucky look for the stall on your left hand side which sells freshly made spring rolls, try them as they are the best i have ever tasted!!!
    Good luck with your trip and i recommend Peoples Lodge in Banaue where you can eat outside at the back of the building with a great view of the terraces. Excellent food, large portions and reasonable price!!!

by jessalo Online Now May 28, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Thank u so much david.. I have printed out your comment in case I forget.. But, when would be the best time to leave Vigan? Im planning to leave there early in the morning.. How many hours would it take me to Tagudin, then to Cervantes, then to Sagada? By the way, from Sagada, I need to go back to Laoag because I have a flight to Manila. Thanks a lot.

by davidjo Online Now May 28, 2013 at 3:11 AM

We left Vigan early morning, maybe 7am and i believe that it only took 60-90 minutes to reach Tagudin, then 2 hours to Cervantes but as i say i am not sure of the jeepneys going to Bontoc since the new bridge is open. I would hate to see you stuck in Cervantes overnight on my advice. My goodness, you are having a quick trip but i am afraid the transport is very slow. Hope all works out well for you. I will get my wife to text Epee in Cervantes and ask about the jeepneys to Bontoc and get back to you about this.

by jessalo Online Now May 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Ohh.. That is so kind of you David.. Thank you.. Don't worry, I wouldn't mind to sleep for the night in Cervantes in case I get stuck. . :) And I believe the people there are kind enough to help me.. By the way, after Cervantes, would it take long to go to Bontoc, then to Sagada?

by davidjo Online Now May 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

If i remember correctly it probably took best part of 3 hrs to reach the junction to Sagada, but the jeepney kept stopping for odds and ends

• Re: BEST ROUTE (LAOAG-VIGAN-SAGADA-BAGUIO)

by Joben Online Now Jul 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Hi, Davidjo.. i am having my trip alone going up north. I am taking this route since i have a flight going back to manila from laoag airport: MANILA-SAGADA-VIGAN-LAOAG. I am just bit worried about my sagada to vigan route. I only have 4 days to spend this long trip of mine. Im leaving manila for sagada on its night bus trip so i just need to sleep along the way and will reach sagada morning.

Going back, can you help me on my apprehensions regarding SAGADA-VIGAN trip: safety, trip duration, what buses jeep multicab vans, etc.. please.. i want to make the most out of my trip.. thank you david in advance..

by davidjo Online Now Jul 19, 2013 at 4:36 AM

Hi Joben, just seen your post today as we have been away in Pundaquit and have not been on the internet for a week.
    When you arrive in Bontoc you must find out when the jeepney leaves Bontoc for Cervantes, i suspect that there may only be one a day. The jeepney would take around 3 hours to Cervantes where shuttle vans run regularly to Tagudin, taking around 2 hrs if i remember correctly. Don't go all the way to Tagudin but get off at the junction and wait for a bus going north to Laoag. There will be many, just flag one down for the up-to 3 hr trip.

• DenBatul's Profile Photo

by DenBatul Online Now Aug 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

i find this forum so interesting, kasi ganito rin ang case ng travel ko. i booked a flight mla-laoag-mla, and i still have 2days and that i would like to spend in sagada. kaya ita-try ko rin yung suggestion ni david :)

by jesorlim Online Now Nov 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM

anyone po know's the exact hours of travel from laoag to Sagada?,thanks!...Jerry

by davidjo Online Now Nov 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

There is no direct transport from Laoag to Sagada. One way of doing it s to get any bus going south from Laoag and get off at the Tagudin junction, shuttle van to Cervantes then change to jeepney to Bontoc and get off at Sagada junction. There are regular shuttles from the junction to Cervantes but i am not so sure of the times of onward travel from there as i have not been there for 3 years. There are also other ways to get there, so maybe our members can help you further with your inquiry

• bbgonza's Profile Photo

by bbgonza Online Now Nov 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Hi Davidjo, we are planning to travel from Laoag sagada Baguio and found you suggestion very informative. I just want to ask you if there is private van you can hire from Laoag to sagada for 3 people?

by davidjo Online Now Nov 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Although i have never done this i suspect you can make an arrangement with the drivers of vans, multicabs etc while you are in Laoag.

by devonw Online Now Feb 17, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Hello everyone! Because I studied this forum tediously before my own Vigan --> Sagada trip, I thought I'd pay it forward with a retelling of what happened when we ventured the Cervantes route this week:

From Vigan -- took the 7 am Partas bus to Baguio, ask to get off taguidin (149 Php). About 2 hours

Arrive 9:20 am at the Cervantes/Bitalag service road (you'll make a short 20 min rest stop just before getting off again). Hang at the bitalag service road junction waiting for van to fill.

Waited 2.5 hours. Left at 11:50 am. Paid 150.

Arrived in Cervantes at 2, and fortunately snagged a van going to Bontoc, that stopped at tadian (2:50 arrival. Paid 70). Got on another van.

Got off at junction (where it splits to Sagada/Bontoc bound vehicles) at 3:30, paid 50.

A bus headed to Sagada came along at 3:50. Paid 15. Arrived 4:40.

Quite a trek, but all the different transfers kept the day interesting. Waiting for the van to fill was the WORST (2 hours!) but hopefully you'll be luckier than we were. Cheers

by tweety9 Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Hi everyone! I need your help/suggestion for my trip please. I'm from Dumaguete and I want to travel to Manila - Baguio - Banawe - Sagada - Vigan - Laoag - Pagudpud. What's the best route to start? from Manila or Laoag? Thank you.

by davidjo Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 2:35 AM

It is a little complicated as no matter what route you take there will be some backtracking to do. However, if it was me i would take the bus from Manila to Baguio, then down to the coast and up to Vigan, Laoag, Pagudpud. Back to Laoag then bus to Tagudin, shuttle to Cervantes, jeepney towards Bontoc but get off at the Sagada junction a few kms before Bontoc. Wait 30 minutes or so for transport to Sagada. Sagada to Bontoc by bus, then bus to Banaue, bus back to Manila.
    Of course if you are going to fly to Laoag, then i would consider Pagudpud, Vigan, Baguio, Sagada, Banaue then Manila and that would avoid any backtracking except for the Pagudpud section. The trip from Banaue to Sagada is very beautiful.

by tweety9 Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 11:22 AM

davidjo wrote:

It is a little complicated as no matter what route you take there will be some backtracking to do. However, if it was me i would take the bus from Manila to Baguio, then down to the coast and up to Vigan, Laoag, Pagudpud. Back to Laoag then bus to Tagudin, shuttle to Cervantes, jeepney towards Bontoc but get off at the Sagada junction a few kms before Bontoc. Wait 30 minutes or so for transport to Sagada. Sagada to Bontoc by bus, then bus to Banaue, bus back to Manila.
    Of course if you are going to fly to Laoag, then i would consider Pagudpud, Vigan, Baguio, Sagada, Banaue then Manila and that would avoid any backtracking except for the Pagudpud section. The trip from Banaue to Sagada is very beautiful.

Davidjo:

Thank you so much for the suggestions. It's a great help for me. This will be my first solo travel and I'll spend 2 wks for this. I'm excited to travel this Nov but I think I'm gonna take the route that starts in Bagiuo coz I want to witness the Sagada ritual during Nov 1. That's my first bucket list and im still reading other travel blogs to complete my bucket list. So it's a very big help that I've read this post. Thanks again Davidjo and to everybody. Happy travelling!!!

by davidjo Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM

by tweety9 Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 6:22 PM

davidjo wrote:

Two weeks is just about right for this trip. Let me suggest two places to stay, and you may want to look at some of my reviews.
    Davidjo:

Thank you again for the big help and information. One more question please. How long is the trip starting from Sagada to Vigan? Thank you again.

by davidjo Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Sagada to Cervantes involve going to Bontoc first to catch the jeepney to Cervantes because if you wait at the road junction the jeepney may be full. 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. Vervantes to Tagudin junction by shuttle 2 hrs, then from Tagudin junction to Vigan 1 hr

by tweety9 Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 7:36 PM

davidjo wrote:

Sagada to Cervantes involve going to Bontoc first to catch the jeepney to Cervantes because if you wait at the road junction the jeepney may be full. 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. Vervantes to Tagudin junction by shuttle 2 hrs, then from Tagudin junction to Vigan 1 hr

Davidjo

Again a very big thank you for your help. Have a nice day!

by tweety9 Online Now Jul 31, 2014 at 7:36 PM

davidjo wrote:

Davidjo

Again a very big thank you for your help. Have a nice day!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines