Sälen Travel Answers

change location
HannaJo's Profile Photo

Skiing in Saelen

by HannaJo Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 5:38 AM

Hello, I am planning to come to Saelen for skiing during Christmas time. Has anyone been there and could give any hints? I am afraid a little bit of the weather, since we will drive from Karlskrona or Nyneshamn. How long does it take to drive there and is it better to start in Karlskrona or Nyneshamn? Thank you for any advices. (I suppose that more people plan their summer holidays nowadays, but I should conform my reservation in July, so have to plan early...:))) Hanna

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Skiing in Saelen

by Sjalen Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 6:17 AM

Nynäshamn is a lot shorter since that is just south of Stockholm, whereas Karlskrona is way down south, close to Poland indeed. So, I would go for Nynäshamn to avoid driving too far in winter. I have never skied in Sälen but been there in October to walk in the highlands and it's very nice. The skiing areas are a few to chose from, depending on what you want from your holiday and if you have children or not. Lindvallen (with Sweden's most used ski slope) is one popular area as is Högfjället and Stöten but there are others. I stayed in Kläppen which is where my friend worked at the time and the accommodation in fell cottages was great! That's not the most spectacular skiing area though but popular with families with small children. Tandådalen is where you should go if you want more adventurous skiing I think. Here is a page to look at: http://www.skistar.com/english/salen/ Have you looked at VT members' Sälen pages? I know there are a couple who have been skiing there but can't remember whom right now. Not sure how long it takes to drive from Nynäshamn but I'm sure someone else does. You drive up to Mora through the Swedish midlands and then north into the highlands. From Stockholm to Mora it's 300 kilometres, and then you need to add 60 from Nynäshamn to Stockholm and maybe 60 from Mora to Sälen, although I'm not sure of that one...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HannaJo's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Skiing in Saelen

by HannaJo Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 6:52 AM

Thanks a million, Charlotte. I will check the route from Nyneshamn and will look for Saelen pages of VTs. Greetings from Gdynia :)) Hanna

• Nickeb's Profile Photo

Re: Skiing in Saelen

by Nickeb Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 8:00 AM

Hi Sälen Is a great place for skiing and nightlife as you dont have to drive so far from southern sweden (I have been there 4 years in a row now and we are going this year again) The problem with sälen is that the hills are too small for my taste, but with the kids it´s just great, or if you just are in for some skiing+party. you are right that you have to plan early as it will be hard to get a cottage otherwise. If you have the option to choose -go from nynäshamn!!! -Borlänge-malung-sälen. It will be about 500 km (6-7 Hours) (Karlskrona-770 km 8-10 hours) The driving-time depends on the weather. Were to stay is a question of age and interrest But the best afterski is probably "wärdshuset" in lindvallen, and the best nightclub is "HC" Can write for hours....if you like more details just ask! (by my mail or by the forum!) Have a nice time in sälen!!!!!!! Niklas

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines