Saarland Travel Answers

change location

what places to visit in Saarbrücken and surroundings

by fernanss Online Now Jul 15, 2004 at 2:37 AM

Hi, I will be in Saarbrücken from 23 to 31 of July and I would like to know places to visit in the city and sorrounding area (150 km) thanks in advance Fernando

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: what places to visit in Saarbrücken and surroundings

by christine.j Online Now Jul 15, 2004 at 5:27 AM

Hi, in Saarbruecken: Ludwigskirche,downtown area around St Johanna Markt, definitely Deutsch-Franzoesischer Garten! in Saarland: if you're interested in nature: near Merzig the river makes a sharp bend - called Saarschleife -, also good hiking trails. if you're interested in industry: in Voelklingen there is a huge old industrial plant, no longer in use but open to the public as a sort of museum. In France: Metz and Nancy, both very interesting cities. The woods between France and Germany - Vosges-, a beautiful area. It just depends what you're interested in. Christine

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Jul 15, 2004 at 6:26 AM

An hour away by train you have Germany's oldest city: Trier. Great old Roman capital with Porta Nigra, amphitheatre, thermes and many other Roman buildings. That together with the old cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is also a university city with lots of student atmosphere. Finally, it is along the river Moselle so there are plenty of vineyards and castles in the countryside around it and you are very close to Luxemburg too of course.

• Nelie's Profile Photo

Re: Re: what places to visit in Saarbrücken and surroundings

by Nelie Online Now Jul 16, 2004 at 12:14 AM

I think Colmar (F) is also quite close to Saarbruecken. Even if I have never been there by now I am confident that it is worth to visit. What do you think about visiting Baden-Baden. It is about 160 km away from Saarbrücken. It is quite a small town but you could make a daytrip to Karlsruhe AND Baden-Baden.

• gargamel111's Profile Photo

by gargamel111 Online Now Jul 16, 2004 at 1:10 AM

hi there, as above, Trier, Völklingen and the Saarschleife are a must. Nice things to see in Saarbruecken: The Adventure museum, collected and run by one of the most travelling guy in the world (sorry, forgot the name, but visiting the museum is like a trip round the world, dont miss). The other thing is the "invisible monument". You have to ask for it, I think it is a very nice idea. have fun Gar

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Saarland Travel Answer Locations