Russia Travel Answers

change location
Bothwell's Profile Photo

Another visa and dox question

by Bothwell Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Hello VT friends, I need your help again.

Last night, wifey and I made an out of the blue (without much thought and zero plan) booking to Russia for the Lenten Holiday (March 22 to 31). Now I realized that getting travel permits are not as easy as going to most other countries. I have so many questions but let me start with the more important stuff:

1. Wifey is a Taiwan ROC passport holder, which clearly requires visa while I’m a Hong Kong SAR passport holder which entitles me to enter Russia visa-free for 14 days. Question: Am I also required to secure a Tourist Voucher prior to my departure?

2. We plan to visit Tallinn from St. Petersburg then fly back to Moscow. Is this allowed? We gathered some info that says Dual entry visitors are only allowed to visit CIS countries before returning to Russia. I’d seen one site that says Baltic countries are allowed too. I tried calling our country’s Russian consulate but they appear clueless about this info.

3. In the event that we decide to forgo visiting Tallinn, which city would you guys recommend for a 2 day visit?

4. Can anyone recommend a reliable online Tour operator that can assist us with the Tourist Voucher?

Your opinions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Another visa and dox question

by bugulma Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM

2. could you apply for multi-entrance? maybe it will be more expensive though...
    3. Nizhny Novgorod or Kazan', they are the biggest cities near of Moscow with history and architecture. Or Veliky Novgorod between StP and Moscow

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: Another visa and dox question

by travelmad478 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I don't know the answer to your question #2 but is it possible to just leave Russia, visit Tallinn, and then fly back home from there? You can connect through Moscow without a visa if you are not leaving the secure area of the airport, i.e. just changing planes.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• yumyum's Profile Photo

by yumyum Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I have used www.visatorussia.com before for the inviation/voucher.

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

by Muscovite Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Bothwell wrote:Hello VT friends, I need your help again.

Last night, wifey and I made an out of the blue (without much thought and zero plan) booking to Russia for the Lenten Holiday (March 22 to 31). Now I realized that getting travel permits are not as easy as going to most other countries. I have so many questions but let me start with the more important stuff:

1. Wifey is a Taiwan ROC passport holder, which clearly requires visa while I’m a Hong Kong SAR passport holder which entitles me to enter Russia visa-free for 14 days. Question: Am I also required to secure a Tourist Voucher prior to my departure?

2. We plan to visit Tallinn from St. Petersburg then fly back to Moscow. Is this allowed? We gathered some info that says Dual entry visitors are only allowed to visit CIS countries before returning to Russia. I’d seen one site that says Baltic countries are allowed too. I tried calling our country’s Russian consulate but they appear clueless about this info.

3. In the event that we decide to forgo visiting Tallinn, which city would you guys recommend for a 2 day visit?

4. Can anyone recommend a reliable online Tour operator that can assist us with the Tourist Voucher?

Your opinions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

by Muscovite Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Sorry, not used to these new tricks here. If the Russian consulate is dumb - shame indeed, but I can believe it - try your own in Russia. Besides, you can try Moscow International site - I guess, it's moscow.ru, but see my pages Then there is the ministry for foreign affairs in Moscow And the travel companies' association (ask them abou tour operator, too) http://www.atorus.ru/en

My point is this - and I have been trying for ages, but in vain: about cafes or shops you can ask fellow travellers. But on official matters you need afficial answers - supposing you have a dispute at the border. If you say 'they told me so at VT' - who cares? But if you produce an answer form an official body copied and printed, with a phone yu can contact on the spot - it's a very different matter. Not that I ever had any problem crossing the border, but in case of the slightest doubt I always contact the embassy in question.

2 members found this helpful

• Bothwell's Profile Photo

by Bothwell Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Thank you all for taking time to reply to my questions. We finally decided to skip Tallinn and just spend the entire trip in Russia.

@Muscovite. Your input makes a lot of sense, but I was hoping that members/visitors of VT with similar situations as mine would notice and answer my queries.

The Moscow International Portal site is a wealth of information. Many thanks.

by Muscovite Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Welcome :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Russia Travel Answer Locations