Russia Travel Answers

change location
Elyzabeth's Profile Photo

Moscow to St Petersburg Independently without a tour, has anyone had experience doing this?

by Elyzabeth Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 4:34 AM

We want to go to Moscow and then St Petersburg Independently. Since most people go with tour groups, I would like to know if anyone has done this without being part of a tour?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Re: Moscow to St Petersburg Independently without a tour, has anyone had experience doing this?

by bugulma Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 5:50 AM

you need visa. many agencies, as far as i know, offer such service. maybe hotel you choose to stay will help you as well...

Moscow and StP are the biggest city and many people, I mean, speak languages. so i doubt you will have any problem during your independent travelling

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • robine's Profile Photo

Re: Moscow to St Petersburg Independently without a tour, has anyone had experience doing this?

by robine Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Yes, I've done so, by direct train. No problem.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Moscow to St Petersburg Independently without a tour, has anyone had experience doing this?

by bugulma Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

yes, there are a lot of trains and flights between Moscow and StP :-)

by bugulma Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

yes, there are a lot of trains and flights between Moscow and StP :-)

• eMGeographer's Profile Photo

Re: Moscow to St Petersburg Independently without a tour, has anyone had experience doing this?

by eMGeographer Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I've also done it. If you go by train, read about different types of trains and carriages. There are 3 main travel classes: 'lux' and 'coupé' have compartments with beds, 'platskart' - bunks without compartments. I like the last one, but must reailse that you don't have pivacy there ;) Here you can read more: russiantrain.com/info/carria...

The best way is to go with a night train. Try to buy tickets right after your arrival in Moscow, especially if it is a holidays time.

• eMGeographer's Profile Photo

by eMGeographer Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

by bugulma Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Besides there are speedy trains "Sapsan", 3h 30 minutes, 3 or 4 timer per day. Last spring I used it for USD 80 one way. here is official site but it seems the english version is very short and cut :-) eng.rzd.ru

I prefer flights and you may check prices of Aeroflot, S7, UTair and Transaero, the biggest air companies of Russia (last time there are good offer from Transaero, USD 145-160 for the return ticket). The flights are from different airport (3 airports in Moscow), all of them are connected by train with central area of the city (www.aeroexpress.ru). St Petersburg has only one airport for the domestic flight, Pulkovo, which is connected with nearest metro station by bus or mini bus only

by bugulma Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM

just remembered Rossiya Airlines, the aircompany based in Saint Petersburg. It is a part of Aeroflot though. But it seems to be the only one company that has flights to each of Moscow airports - sometimes it is very convenient...

• Elyzabeth's Profile Photo

by Elyzabeth Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Thank-you all for your suggestions, however, for now, our plans to go to Russia have been put on hold until the fall or possibly next spring.

When we do decide to go...
    I will come back to what has already been posted and start looking into your helpful suggestions,

Elyzabeth

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Russia Travel Answer Locations