Royal Chitwan Travel Answers

change location
krobert's Profile Photo

CHITWAN MOSQUITOS

by krobert Online Now Feb 12, 2008 at 3:01 PM

I'm planning to visit Royal Chitwan in late Feb/early March. Will I have to worry about mosquitoes or any other insects? Any other general advice welcome.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

Re: CHITWAN MOSQUITOS

by ricky52 Online Now Feb 12, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Mosquitoes, Malaria and Dengue Fever.

This is a question that appears quite a lot here on VT.
    You will hear from people who never take any kind of medication.
    You will hear from those who do.

May I suggest that you contact your own doctor or practice nurse and ask for their advice?
    If they recommend that you use some form medication, get them to recommend the treatment.
    You may find that some treatments you make you ill, if so, ask the doctor for an alternative.

“I will only be there 3 or 4 days, do I really need to take the medicine”
    I does not matter, if it is an infected area, 3 or 4 minutes is all it takes to get Malaria.

True fact: - Malaria has killed more than half the people who have EVER lived.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Feb 13, 2008 at 11:28 AM

All Good Solid Advice above
    At the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice and your own interpretation of the risks.
    Personally I Never take Anti Malerials, I am heading for Nepal for trip number seven on Saturday and nearly always have a few days in Sauraha after trekking.
    I Always sleep under a net, Cover up in the evening and use Deet
    That does the trick for me – Basically I know that there is a Small risk and accept that
    What you do is up to you !!
    Happy Travels
    Rob

• Saagar's Profile Photo

by Saagar Online Now Feb 13, 2008 at 4:40 PM

The main mosquito season in Chitwan is during the monsoon and for a period afterwards. As Chitwan has a lot of water - it is a flood plain after all - there will always be mosquitoes around, but do as Into Thin Air says; cover up, use repellant etc. Ankles/feet are vulnerable as the critters are mostly ground huggers. I`d take anti malarial prophylaxis if I were to hang out in the Terai in primitive evening/sleeping conditions w/o net and access control. February is still in the dry, cool season, March is warming up, the rains (apart from the occasional cumulus shower)start in Mid-Late June and peters out in September. Where does all this leave you? No need for prophylaxis during your time there if you do as Into Thin Air says.
    Saagar

• PabloM's Profile Photo

by PabloM Online Now Sep 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I agree with the comments above. I am allergic to mosquitoes and I suffered quite a bit in Chitwan even with the help with of repellents. Bring a mosquito net and a repellent ( the cream one seem to last longer). A visit to your local Doctor is also a good idea.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines