Rouen Travel Answers

change location
Mobleydcat's Profile Photo

Getting Around Rouen

by Mobleydcat Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I've been trying to find a map or a guidebook for Rouen and I can't find any. I have only few hours to spare when I visit Rouen and given this limitation I think I can only see the Cathedral and perhaps where where Joan of Arc was burned. My question is how far is the train station to Cathedral (I am coming from Paris), is it walkable or do I have to take a taxi.

TIA.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Re: Getting Around Rouen

by Penguin2007 Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Grab a Michellin green guide - maps and details of what to do

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Getting Around Rouen

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM

hi will you not be in France/Europe with a good guide book to accompany you? such as the Lonely Planet for Europe or Rough guide book for France - they have a map of the town or city centre of main places to visit and I know the LP I used for Europe had a map of Rouen in it. The maps that guidebooks put in for their travelling fans usually mark where to find the tourist office...and where the train and bus stations are. also where to try something to eat...and what sights there are to see so you can plan ahead! Totally invaluable I wouldnt have seen anywhere as near as much as Ive seen when travelling if I didnt have a travel bible with me!

theres not such a big centre in Rouen to see but still some cute old buildings and cobbled streets to see.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Check on Google Maps and print out that map...

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Google maps has it at about 1km from the station to the Joan-of-Arc museum area, or a little further to the cathedral.
    We spent only 1/2 a day there some years ago and walked it easily.
    We did only manage the cathedral area, Gross Horloge, and the J-o-A "square" areas as well as some of the old streets and general touristy-area.
    However, we walked it easily but I am sure a taxi would be reasonable for such a short journey if you are not up to the walk or the weather is bad.
    We picked-up a cheap guide-book with a simple map from the station when we got there.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

lovely city all can be done on foot ,best way to see the city.

the train station go down ave jeanne d'arc and you are in city center in 10 minutes whre the cathedral is to your left. the burning site is now the jeanne d'arc church right in old pl du vieux marché, just follow the same road stragth down you will hit it.

very easy, enjoy Rouen

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

ah yes ave jeanne d'arc is the street in front of train station, you hit straight out of the station. cheers

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

sorry i am at work lol!!! once y ou get to the cathedral, you get on to the left at ave de la republique and go to the quais of the Seine river, there is a plaque before getting on the bridge Pierre Corneille, it is the spot whree the ashes of Jeanne d'arc were thrown o the water to avoid folks to worshipped the heroine, then saint, then doctor of the church, then patron saint of France.

cheers

• Re: Getting Around Rouen

by micolett Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Perfectly walkable unless you are loaded with luggage.
    Even with luggage if you're fit.
    Or if it's pissing down...

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:18 AM

We walked, pulling our luggage, from the Cathedral to the train station.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines