Rotterdam Travel Answers

change location
GladToGoRose's Profile Photo

Only one afternoon

by GladToGoRose Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I am taking a river cruise and our ship will be in Rotterdam only for one afternoon. Can you please suggest the best way to spend my time. I'd like to see as much of the city as possible and experience some of the food as well. If you could suggest the order in which to see the city and perhaps some of the "off the beaten path" places, it would be a big help.

Thank you in advance, I am really looking forward to seeing your beautiful country.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

Re: Only one afternoon

by Rixie Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I can't claim it as my beautiful country, since I'm American, but I did love Rotterdam.    It wasn't as overrun with tourists as Amsterdam was, and more than once, I was mistaken for Dutch.

You might like to take a walk through Delfshaven, the only pre-World War II part of the city that survived the bombings. The Pilgrim Fathers' church is there.  

Rotterdam has some really interesting modern architecture, like the Cube Houses and the Bibliotheek, and the Erasmusbrug.

Take a look at VT members' Rotterdam pages for more tips and photos.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Howdy, to be able to reply to you in more detail, I'd like to know where you're moored exactly and which afternoon it will be.
    Have you been to Rotterdam before? What are your interests?

At the moment Jean Paul Gaultier is exhibiting at the Kunsthal. There are various street markets. There are not really any particular foods in Rotterdam but you can go the exotic way (Surinamese for example). It's always spectacular to take a water taxi to Hotel New York (former Holland-America Line headquarters) and have something to eat there.

You may enjoy my Rotterdam page, plenty of off-the-beaten-path suggestions there in various neighbourhoods.
    Enjoy!

• GladToGoRose's Profile Photo

by GladToGoRose Online Now May 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Thank you, I too loved Rotterdam. Took a tour of one of the cube houses. Very interesting. Also visited the statue next to the Maritime Museum of the man calling out to God following the bombing of Rotterdam during the war.

So much more to see, really hope that I can get back there one day.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now May 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I'm glad you had a good time there!

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now May 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Good to hear.