Rotorua Travel Answers

change location

Sulphur Fumes in Rotorua

by BusyB Online Now Jan 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM

We will be visiting Rotorua coming from Auckland, and heading towards Lake Taupo and Turangi. I am looking for accommodations now, and wondering if there is a particular area where sulphur fumes are strongest, and which to avoid if one won't be able to tolerate the smell. Would Lake Road area be better off?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Sulphur Fumes in Rotorua

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM

You can never tell. It depends on the direction of the wind. Most motels have their own steaming pools, so often you cannot really escape the smell, wherever you are. The closer you are to Whakarewarewa/Te Puia and the wind comes from this direction the worse for you. In this respect Lake Road is surely better than Fenton Road where so many motels are. But as there are sources of smell all over the place you can plan as well as you want and will still smell the sulphur.

But come on! The smell is part of a genuine Rotorua experience ;-)))

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Abbeythekat's Profile Photo

Re: Sulphur Fumes in Rotorua

by Abbeythekat Online Now Jan 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Hey

Would have to agree with Kakapo. I spend a bit of time in Rotorua for work.
    Some times I can go there and never smell a thing...and other times its noticable.
    If you are really worried about it...I would suggest staying in a Hotel that has airconditioning. To be honest, you get used to it pretty quickly. But I can understand how it can make some people feel a bit "icky".

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines