Rotorua Travel Answers

change location
sandeepgarg's Profile Photo

Few Hours in Rotorua!!

by sandeepgarg Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 3:59 AM

We are a family of 9 (4 adults, 1 senior and 4 children between 8-15 years), from INDIA.

We shall be arriving in Rotorua on the 11th May 2012, at about 6.30 pm or so, after our visit to Waitomo caves, enroute from Auckland.

We are staying the night at Novotel Lakeside. The next day at 12.25 we have the Air New Zealand flight to Queenstown, from the Rotorua Airport.

What is your suggestion that we do in the few hours we have in hand.

Should we do Whakarewarewa/Te Puia (or other Like Wai-O-Tapu, Waimangu Volcanic Vally, any other?) thermal area on the 12th May morning? Or should we go somewhere else or even avoid this completely?

All suggestions to make this stay worthwile will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Few Hours in Rotorua!!

by Kakapo2 Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM

With so little time on your hand I would suggest only a few things.

1. You can visit a cultural Maori show at the Tamaki Village in the evening.

2. As distances are relatively significant in Rotorua I would not go further than Te Puia or Whakarewarewa (two separate attractions) the next morning as you have to be at the airport rather early. Wai-o-tapu surely is the best geothermal attraction in the area but it is a little drive and you need at least two hours for the visit.

The airport is 37 km from Waiotapu, the drives takes at least 30 to 35 minutes.

Well, it is possible... Waiotapu opens at 8.30am. Meaning if you start in Rotorua at 8am, are at the gate at 8.30am, leave no later than 10.30 or 11am, you can make it to the airport in time...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sandeepgarg's Profile Photo

by sandeepgarg Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Thank you Ma'am!!

There was a confusion in our minds as to which 1 Thermal area would be the optimum for our short visit. You have helped me to clear my mind.

It will be either Te Puia or Wai-O-Tapu.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

If you can start early I really suggest you go to Wai-o-tapu. It is soooo much more spectacular than the two sites in Rotorua, it is worth getting up early for it.

When I started writing my last post I thought it is too much but the longer I think about it the more I think it can be done.

You can always keep the options open until the last minute - when you see if everyone of your big group is ready to leave early or not.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines